Motorola Atrix 4G Hands-on Preview Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I've realized I phrased something in this article poorly. Motorola has not announced what the Atrix or its accessories are going to cost, and in my preliminary review I presented a worst case scenario (quoted above).

What I was trying to say is exactly what the sentence says -- if the laptop accessory for the Atrix costs $500, it won't sell well. But it's easy to misinterpret what I wrote to mean that I disapprove of a price Motorola has already announced.

I changed the wording of my conclusion to make this clearer.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. Ed Hardy

In the prototypes on display at CES, the switch was instantaneous. When the device is put in its dock, Linux doesn't boot, it's always running in the background.

Keep in mind, the Linux OS runs just two apps: Firefox and an Android OS emulator. If you want to run any other software on the Atrix while it's in its cradle, you run an Android OS app... in full-screen mode if you wish.

The emulator pulls from the same sources as the "regular" version of the Android OS, so both have the same apps, contacts, files, etc.

I'm not sure if Firefox and the Android web browser share bookmarks. I can see it working either way. It would be convenient sometimes, but there will be many sites I want to go to in Firefox in laptop/PC mode that I wouldn't go to on a small smartphone screen. My current phone and PC have very different sets of bookmarks.

That's the real question, and it's why the Performance section of my preview article is so guarded. If it works well, this device is going to pull in lots of business users. If not, it's going to be consigned to the trash heap of overly-ambitious products.
    -

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Why did they design this dock just for this phone? It would make more sense if they made such a unit to work with any Android phone.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a mistake here somewhere. I highly doubt that they'd go through the trouble to source to such similarly sized screen units with the same resolution. There was another BH post that stuck with this kind of disparity up until the devices were released and they were both 4" screens. It's not impossible; but unlikely just for component sourcing logistics.

5. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

If it doesn't share bookmarks, or at least have so,e sort of plug-in that syncs this bookmarks, then that would be a missed opportunity there.

Nah, makes more sense for Moto to just make this compatible with their mobiles only. Supporting all Android devices would be a mess and too much for Moto Mobility to support long-term.

6. LandSurveyor

All (or just the high end) Moto Androids, maybe?

7. Ed Hardy

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

That's an amazing deal, even Captain Cheap's (me) standards. It's barely more than the list price for the old BT folding keyboards, and it has a display, its own battery, etc.

I know some initial reports guessed as high ast $500 (ridiculous given the price of a complete netbook); but I figured closer to $200-$250.

Edit: My only complaint is this bifurcation of the video connector. Having to buy BOTH devices to get the video-out is annoying.

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

That's the job Google should have done on the next generation Nexus. If they had done so and declare the bus interface open, all the manufacturers can flock to it.

10. LandSurveyor

As AW says, it doesn't make sense for Moto to make the thing fit phones other than theirs.

But that doesn't prohibit other manufacturers from doing something similar, or a 3rd party manufacturer from producing a model that would attach to any number of Androids, via the USB, I would think. Unless there are software obstacles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.