Motorola’s New Moto X is Bigger, Stronger, and More Metal

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jeff Dunn, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Jeff Dunn

Jeff Dunn TechnologyGuide Assistant Editor

Motorola has formally taken the wraps off its latest Android flagship, the Moto X. Yes, it’s using the same name as last year’s model, not the goofy “Moto X+1” codename that’s floated around the rumor mill in recent months. But while its branding isn’t changing, the new flagship looks to be filled with dramatic upgrades across the board, making it a far cry from the midrange power of the original.

Read the full content of this Article: http://www.brighthand.com/news/motorolas-new-moto-x-bigger-stronger-metal/

Drillbit likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The processor, screen size and resolution, and case materials are all big upgrades over the 2013 Moto X my wife has. And that price is fantastic--it's no longer trying to compete at same price as the two eight-hundred-pound gorillas in the room (Samsung and Apple). My only reservation is camera quality. The 2013 Moto X had an underwhelming camera, and based on a couple sample photos Ars Technica has posted of the 2014 Moto X, the colors still aren't great with its camera.

If photography isn't a top priority for your phone, though, this is arguably the best user experience and best-value Android flagship on the market. Nicely done Motonovo.

Drillbit and RickAgresta like this.
  3. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

It's A LOT bigger than the older model, the compact dimensions of the original Moto X and it's more single handed friendly screen size was something constantly mentioned in reviews and by users as desirable.
    I'm not convinced the lower than flagship specs hurt anything as far as the average user went, especially if they tried it and saw it didn't make a scrap of difference to how smoothly it runs

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

And yet the first-gen Moto X was a sales disaster. I think the smartphone scene is one where people who prefer larger form factors are a silent majority and people who prefer smaller form factors are a vocal minority.

Particularly in light of the iPhone 6--where it's the most-presold iPhone by far despite complaints on tech forums about how nobody wants a bigger iPhone--I think Motorola made the right choice in increasing the Moto X's size.

EdmundDantes and Hook like this.
  5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I have to agree. For my next phone, I'm hoping to go to something bigger if only for the sake of my aging eyes. And it's good to see that a "good enough" phone is available for a reasonable price.

As for Moto Voice, Siri, Cortana, and the like, while think they are useful, I would only feel comfortable issuing voice commands in complete privacy. Can't see speaking all of my personal business out loud for anyone nearby to hear.

Glad they stuck with unmodified Android. This might be a "luxury" we only get with lower-priced phones.

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Something based or similar to the new Moto X being made by Moto, under the code name "Shamu" might be the new Nexus.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

A Moto X-based Nexus 6 seems odd to me, since the Moto X itself is so Nexus-esque itself (lower pricing than Samsung/HTC/Sony/Apple, near-vanilla Android), and because it seems like such a modest step forward from the Nexus 5. On the other hand, I'm hearing rumors that there might be a new Motorola Droid coming to Verizon with a 6" QHD screen, Snapdragon 805, and 3 gb RAM, and the Nexus 6 might be based off that. That could be cool.

8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Bend test compares Moto X 2014 against the likes of HTC and Nokia. Seems like the Moto X is the hardest of them all.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

One of the comments suggested it might be software related; if that's the case, well, shame on Motorola for shipping it that way, but good it can be corrected

Mitlov and scjjtt like this.