Moto X

Discussion in 'Motorola' started by Mi An, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

/*Mi An tries to enter the heavily cobwebbed motorola subforum slowly to avoid kicking up too much dust, but fails comically and suffers a painful fit of sneeze-coughs as a result. Several hours later peering out of his haz mat suit, emptying his industrial shop vac for the 5th time, he finally gives up and just hangs some more haz mat suits outside the door. */

The dust won't kill ya, but you might wish it would. Tuck those helmets in and don't spare the duct tape.

moto-magic-glass.jpg
    https://plus.google.com/110694450299661318989/posts/5Egua1nVyVT
    Earlier documents indicated release at the end of August, but it could be the beginning instead. A few questions remain for me.
    1. how much? Rumors have ranged from the ridiculous of $199 off contract to the other ridiculous, costing as much as high end phones like the One and S4. What I'm hoping for is Nexus 4 pricing, or close to it. If it;s $350-$400, I might still bite.
    2. Is the battery removable at all? Frankly I don't mind having to break out the screwdriver. I don't do a lot of battery swapping, I'm more likely to pack an external battery. But I feel pretty strongly about being able to replace the battery myself when it wears down. Some rumors on customization assume removable backs, but after an evleaks rumor that claimed the battery was not removable, some suspect that the back may be customizable before it's assembled, but not swappable. Choose your color and then you're stuck with it. I would like some confirmation that this battery is somewhat accessible and not like, hardwired in.
    3. What screen? Moto CEO seemed to confirm an OLED some months ago. Droid Ultra screen is very impressive. If moto x uses the same tech on its smaller screen, I might not even complain about a small markup from Nexus 4 pricing (how generous am I?). It would be the highest pixel density RGB AMOLED phone in the history of the world.
    4. Will stock run out in 3.7 seconds after preordering goes up? :rolleyes: Even if it did, I might still get a moto x before Samsung tells me the price for the S4 mini.

Hook, scjjtt and Drillbit like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Oh, good. A new drooling thread. :newpalm:

scjjtt likes this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

seen this, Mi An (and other droolers)?

Moto-X-dual-LTE-antenna-645x342.jpg

article here

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
    Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm definitely drooling at a possible modest price tag. I think the rumors got started when moto CEO mentioned that 50% margins weren't sustainable, recognizing the obvious, that manufacturers aren't going to stand around and keep prices stable while Samsung is the only one who profits, they'll start undercutting each other eventually. So people assumed he was signalling that googorola planned to start that ball rolling (or, give it some momentum I guess, nexus 7 and 4 started it, and kindle fire and nook color before them). He might just have been stating the obvious.

Moto X specs are modest, a la Lumias which are fairly reasonably priced (I see $400 off contract for the 920 at amazon), but it's also made in America and has a mega marketing budget attached, to say nothing of moto's investment in x8 -- it may be mostly cobbled together from old tech, but that doesn't make the cobbling cheap. $300-$350 would be amazing. I might still be excited (maybe just salivating without any loss of containment) at $400-$425.

@RA, that's another of the Taylor Wimberly leaks. He's been leaking like a sieve. As an infrequent data user, I'm not sure that particular info affects me, but it's always nice to see the phone from more angles. =)

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Frankly, if they were smart, a removable back would be an obvious choice for a customizable phone. Just imagine being able to order with different sized batteries, depending on how long you wanted it to last. And that's without even getting into wireless charging versus not, etcetera. And then there's other things you could do with the back--with the right input pins in the back, you could offer an optional sliding keyboard.

Unfortunately, based on the leaks I'm not confident that Motorola has really done justice to the options available here.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm not super confident either. But one of the other Taylor Wimberly leaks was "Just heard +Guy Kawasaki say NFC will become very important on August 1st....."

In mulling ways I could have my qwerty and a real phone too, I've contemplated nfc (and BT4) as a possible means of connection, an alternative to your modified pogo pin idea, or a way to get by with just charging pins. I still can't figure why I've never seen a bluetooth 4 low power keyboard of any size, and only one odd disposable nfc keyboard (that wasn't really portable either) from the far east. Both techs use so little power, even the most microscopic of batteries in the accessory could hold it's own without needing any constant stream of power from the device, it could just get topped off when the phone itself charges.

Moto's early customizable hardware whispers still haven't been justified. Attachable keyboards in portrait and landscape, attachable zoom lenses, attachable htc Surround-eque sliding front facing speakers, sleeker 1st party battery addons (not a replacement, imagine smaller cells spread out more to even out the back without just dumping a bigger battery and leaving tons of wasted space around the battery) etc would justify some of their lofty language. It would also give moto another way to pad their margins if they want to price the x low and then upsell.

More realistically, I've got my eye on a really crappy no name bt 2/3 addon sized to fit iphones and galaxies that will need to be gorilla glued to anything I buy, with a crappy physical config to boot. I don't really think the nfc leak is about this type of stuff, but I'd love to get rescued from that nightmare.

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Question of the Day: What Does the Moto X Need to be to Win You Over? – Droid Life

Droid life asks what posters are looking for, given surprisingly high interest in a modest device. The answers I'm seeing are all what I'm after: a razr thin price tag.

Simultaneously, I'm less confident that will happen every day. Today Taylor posted a size comparison photo along with a brief line about moto thinking they have the most compact high end phone on the market. My performance needs are modest. I don't need an s600 or an s800, but I sure as heck don't want to pay cutting edge prices for last year's leftovers. I don't need a 1080p phone, but I don't want to pay 1080p prices for a 720p phone either. This when modern 1080p s600, s800 devices are already sold with massive margins further bolstered by google's shared ad revenues.

Between the massive marketing budget, the expensive assembly location, the clear pride that moto takes in X and the pricing of similarly spec'd droids, I'm skeptical they can really be as aggressive as I'm after. Maybe the high price tag of overseas s4 minis has me pessimistic as well. I might return to the secondary market soon.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

There's an image floating around of a nanosim tray that appears to be externally accessible. And now that I know what I'm looking for, I can even see it on Rick's image above. Why make a removable sim tray if the back cover is easily removable? Seems like it'd be more spatially economical to slide the sim in under the battery cover. Makes me wonder if that cover might get permaglued on.

Better news: https://plus.google.com/110694450299661318989/posts/Le1qomo1yiN

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I registered with motorola's store the other day, just in case. Some time in the past few hours the entire site transformed into something that looks a little more like the play store. Almost as if today were important for some reason. There's a moto x page where you can register for updates, no purchase page that I can see yet.

There's no livestream of the afternoon event itself that I know of, though I gather there's a public announcement tonight, but the verge is doing some kind of live coverage here: Join us today at 12PM PT / 3PM ET for The Verge Live: Moto X! | The Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4578890/this-is-the-moto-x
    :eek:
    https://plus.google.com/110694450299661318989/posts/a2CWEiYCJud

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Engadget posted a big preview at 12:01 pm PST. Looks like the most credible threat in a long time to the Galaxy S lineup's dominance of the Android market. And it's coming to all major carriers (including US Cellular *happy dance* ), though unfortunately those awesome wood cases are going to be an AT&T exclusive at least for a while.

[​IMG]

Moto X preview: A Google phone assembled with you, the user, in mind