More pTunes questions...

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by Varjak, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Now that I have the upgrade and pTunes internet radio, I noticed that it offers both XM and Sirius Satellite stations over the internet. But I can't seem to access them. Do I need to pay extra to access them or something? Yes, I will be checking with NormSoft too.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks Rick. I wonder why they didn't mention that under the internet radio section of the manual? Or better yet, NOT include the bloody listing if it's not actually available! I mean don't use the excuse that they wanted the save the upgrade, because if it's a format issue, they'd need to issue an upgrade anyway.

Earlier on, I got a hint that NormSoft may be thinking of implementing a lossless format (most likely WMA Lossless). That was one of the reasons I was holding off on buying the upgrade; because inevitably, NS will charge $20 to get the lossless codec (or $10 during Christmas).

4. RickAgresta

I've had Pocket-Tunes on my Palms since my Zire31, and I've never had the kind of experience you're postulating with NormSoft. Also, they have always, in the past, done full upgrades of the application, not sold optional parts of it (unlike Palm did with updates for the TX). btw, all version 5.x upgrades are included in your purchase price.

as for why the listing is there, I can only speculate that the listing is shared with the Pocket Tunes™ Radio iPhone/iPod touch app, which does support both XM & Sirius (http://www.normsoft.com/products/iphone/pockettunes/).

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Where do you see XM and Sirius?

6. RickAgresta

good question, jig; I couldn't find either, in pTunes, or digging around via FileZ.

7. jigwashere

I think you need a subscription at www.xmradio.com. If I remember right, I used to stream XM radio through Kinoma Player 4EX. Minimalposter did,too. But I only had a trial subscription. I think pTunes can handle it better than Kinoma, but at the time, Kinoma was the only option.

Edit: maybe Kinoma is the only option. Anyway, here are Kinoma instructions: http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/07/xm-satellite-radio-in-kinoma-player/

8. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

You have to have an XM/Sirius subscription before you can listen to it, on any device or medium. I get it on my computer, as my XM subscription allows me to stream it also. I haven't tried it on a Palm, though.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I don't know what you mean by 'optional parts,' etc. They HAVE, for some time, posted separate, optional codecs for downloading (although they reserved the AAC codec for one of the upgrade versions). So a lossless codec could be offered 'free' to those registered with 5.0, 4.0, or for everyone, or for only those upgrading to a hypothetical 6.0 version.

I have the satellite radio stations listed under 'internet radio' along with individual stations and some other folders of stations. I got an email back from NS. Such stations are not currently available for the Palm (or perhaps for other platforms either).

10. normsoft

normsoft Newbie

Hi all, this is NormSoft here. Just wanted to give a quick heads-up that this was an accident on our part, and it was due to a mixup between our Palm OS/Windows Mobile products and our iPhone product, Pocket Tunes Radio. We'll be fixing the listing shortly. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a note that Pocket Tunes Radio on the iPhone/iPod Touch does support XM and Sirius because Apple's web browser is good enough to load those pages (once you have Pocket Tunes Radio installed, and you must be running Pocket Tunes Radio). Unfortunately, the web browsers on Palm OS and Windows Mobile are not good enough to support the web-based player for Sirius and XM, so it's unlikely that we will be able to support those in the near future.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact support by clicking the support link from the Pocket Tunes website.

Take care,
    Tim
    NormSoft, Inc.

11. jigwashere

Thanks for the update, Tim!

12. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I have to say, the Pocket Tunes folks have some of the best customer support out there.

I don't suppose you folks are developing an internet radio app for a platform with marginal penetration into the US market. ;)

13. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

normsoft, if one has the iPhone, is there a subscription fee or something to get the satellite radio stations? If not, how do you get around that, since even satellite subsribers have to pay extra to get internet streaming, right?

Also, do 3rd party browsers (like Opera) allow one to get the satellite stations? Or is pTunes tied specifically to the Blazer functions?

14. RickAgresta

also, post 8, above
    hth, RA
    [​IMG]