More Google Analytics and ABP...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Varjak, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I know this topic has come up from time to time, so I thought since I noticed this recently, I'd post it in case it helps someone. I"m sure others probably saw it before; but might have thought everyone on BH would already know.

I noticed in my 'status bar' on Firefox that my browser seemed to be communicating with Google Analytics. I use AdBlockPlus (ABP) and thought I'd blocked this. I had; but now Google seems to be using the address 'ssl.google-analytics' etc. This filter doesn't seem to be included with EasyList and EasyPrivacy (at least it wasnt' on my installation); so I thought I'd give a heads-up here.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Interesting. I'm using BH in plain mode (the blue theme) and I don't see that string in ABP. I don't have EasyPrivacy installed either. Weird.

Regardless, GA is blocked for all instances it sees, which is for ga.js and urchin.js

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

HC, just to be clear, I DO have EasyList and EasyPrivacy, those subscriptions didn't seem to filter that string. I too had GA blocked for g-a.js and urchin.js; but that did NOT block the ssl.google-analytics string, probably because the string STARTS with 'ssl' and most people have the floating asterisk at the END of their filtered string.

I noticed the string on the NY Times website, not here.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ah, at NY Times. I'll have to wander that way and see what I find. Thanks Varjak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.