More bad Android news…

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Nov 10, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

The article, link at end, goes through some preliminary things, but what caught my eye this time is the underlined line, below:

Distribution was never carried out via the official Play Store.
    Instead, the Ghimob group used emails or malicious sites to redirect users to websites promoting Android apps.
    These apps mimicked official apps and brands, with names such as Google Defender, Google Docs, WhatsApp Updater, or Flash Update. If users were careless enough to install the apps despite all the warnings shown on their devices, the malicious apps would request access to the Accessibility service as a final step in the infection process.
    If this was granted, the apps would search the infected phone for a list of 153 apps for which it would show fake login pages in an attempt to steal the user's credentials.
    Most of the targeted apps were for Brazilian banks, but in recently updated versions, Kaspersky said Ghimob also expanded its capabilities to start targeting banks in Germany (five apps), Portugal (three apps), Peru (two apps), Paraguay (two apps), Angola and Mozambique (one app per country).
    Furthermore, Ghimob also added an update to target cryptocurrency exchange apps in attempts to gain access to cryptocurrency accounts, with Ghimob following a general trend in the Android malware scene that has slowly shifted to target cryptocurrency owners.
    https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/ar...e-can-spy-on-153-android-mobile-applications/

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Why do people keep falling for this crap? It's really not bad "Android" news-- just bad news for gullible people, as usual. Android is just fine.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

People don't read. Plain and simple.

The biggest annoyance that I'd personally love to shove back down where the sun don't shine are website notifications. Unrelenting cluster f&*$ of spam, and people don't know why they get it. Did you ever read what you clicked accept to? Or did you just click so you could get to what you wanted to read? If I could, I'd disable that entire feature... but damn it all, we're hamstrung as we're a G Suite company, using the web browser for email. Disable notifications, and people don't get notified of email.

There's a reason I use a client for email, and never use Chrome...

*sigh*

4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

:thumbsup::newpalm:

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

< lelisa3p happily sits within her walled garden, picking flowers and admiring the view. :vbsmile: >

JRakes, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RA quotes the previous post, complete with the author's misspelling of Her. Own. Name. Walled garden joy, indeed • hmmph! :vbrolleyes:

JRakes, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. lelisa13p

Aaacckk! :vbeek: You know, my Super Powers would allow me to correct both of those instances :vbtongue: , but I can mess up just like everyone else. :vbgrin: And own it. :thumbsup: Excuse me while I go to trim my typo-inducing nails. :vboops:

JRakes, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  8. RickAgresta

One of the many reasons you're so highly regarded in these parts, ma'am

JRakes, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  9. lelisa13p

Awww... You're making me blush. :vbsmile:

JRakes, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  10. RickAgresta

And modest, too :newpalm:

JRakes, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.