Mobile Internet Users Will Soon Outnumber PC Users in the U.S. Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Valerie Sarnataro, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Valerie Sarnataro

Valerie Sarnataro Brighthand Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I just ain't feelin' it yet. Trying to work through the phone's small screen is just too limiting to be my primary computing device. In fact, I've never seen a desktop monitor that was too big to suit me.

Even if handheld devices develop the power of a real computer, they still won't have the battery capacity to make it worthwhile.

A handheld device is still primarily a means of communication, with a few ancillary uses.

3. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

I can see it. I mean more and more people are dumping their landlines in favor of their mobile already. I mean most 20-30 year olds do not have a landline now. More of them are beginning to dump their cable as well in favor of the Cell 3G. I think a lot of this has to do with things tightening up in the economy. It is a way to save money or maybe make the most of their limited budgets by consolidating services into one. If you don't like smaller phone screens, most smartphones can connect to a larger screen with HDMI OUT. There are also Tablets.

Desktops will be hard to replace in an Office but for personal use.....

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I thought this milestone was already past. With all the web apps for mobile devices making it so easy to check scores, get the news, emails, social networking, etc., I'm not surprised by this news.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I can understand dumping a landline as long as 911 is covered in some way; although my uncle in FL wouldn't think of doing it as he says cell service is the first thing to go in a hurricane.

Although it's currently possible to go all-wireless, I just can't believe it's practical yet, at least for the majority.

6. brickman65

It's not for the majority....yet, but the minority that is doing this is getting bigger all the time. (ie.) My oldest son (17) would ONLY use a computer if he had to write a report from school and he NEVER uses the landline. Until he just recently bought himself an iPad2, ALL of his Internet use, etc. was done on his iP4. I think this is what the Article is partially talking about plus the fact that more people have smartphones so that getting online from anywhere has gotten quicker and easier than ever before. That is why mobile internet usage is climbing so. People can get on their Tablets/smartphones quicker than walking over to or waiting to get to a computer.

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I don't doubt this, but I don't understand it, either. Unless... The mobile usage is so high because it's so d@mned inefficient, time-wise, to do anything substantial. I know that doing 3 emails on my smartphone takes longer than doing 30 on my PC - It's simply too slow, a colossal PITA, an utter last resort for me, and then only a bare minimum of communicating. Anything significant will wait, whether the other end wants it to or not.

So, in that regard, I can see mobile use eclipsing PC use, but with only a fraction of anything really getting done... ;)

8. brickman65

IMHO, it just depends on your set up, or should I say how you have your mobile set up. I answer almost all my emails through my mobile during the day. This includes sending and receiving attachments. I can type just as fast on it as I can my computer. Of course I can not type very fast so that is not saying much. :p

Again not for everyone but just because it is not for everyone does NOT mean it can't be done and done effectively.

9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

The typing speed is certainly part of it - I can type on a "real" keyboard at about 75 wpm. My TP2 has a fantastic keyboard, but thumb typing is just too slow for me. And God help you if you want any special characters.

The other issue, for me, is the screen size. I can't stand all the scrolling / panning / zooming to see each little piece of what I can see on a "real" display. And, again for me, it simply takes too long. If I have an email, I want to see the email, not scrollscrollscrollscrollscroll as though I'm reading an old teletype message as it comes through. :rolleyes:

Web pages are even worse with all of the required scrolling / panning / zooming. And that's after the thing loads, even on wi-fi. By the time I look at a news article I no longer care, so why bother? :D I can't fathom the torture of doing a Google search on my phone! :eek:

Many people obviously find it useful for their own purposes. I apparently have none of those purposes, though, and couldn't care less about spending an hour to do on my phone what I can do in 3 minutes with a PC... ;)

10. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Yes, it is passed in very many countries. Just about half and half in the US. And it's passed on a global scale. It's not news, just shoddy stats not paying attention to what happened roughly a year an a half ago.

Find ITU, Tomi Ahonen, and Vision Mobile to verify; would have been nice to see deeper commentary on this given the full knowledge of the stats about mobile penetration rates, mobile Internet usage rates, and PC usage rates in the US.

It's not only possible but it's happening. See Pew Internet's recent stats about minority populations in the US and how they are more likely to go mobile than use PC internet facilities.

Given the push by carriers big and small for smartphones and dedicated data plans, it's not only practical, but becoming the default - just like I predicted here years ago.