mismatch: go to first unread post in thread and go to last post

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by RickAgresta, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

just to let someone know, currently in the 'Online and Brick and Mortar Store Deals' forum as listed in the forums home (Brighthand.com Smartphone and PDA Discussion Forums), the most recent thread is "BlackBerry Pearl 8130 - Free..." and if you click the thread subject, you go there (as you should, no problem here). but, if you click the 'go to last post' icon for the same thread, you go to the thread "Free Epocrates® Essentials for Medical Students – Download Days March 17-18, 2009". I've tried refreshing, even tried a 2nd browser, same behaviour. :eek:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Seems to be working fine right now, RA. :)

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Nothing wrong as far as I can see ...

4. RickAgresta

fwiw, even though the most recent post in that forum has changed:
    Palm Treo Pro (unlocked) -...
    by Deals
    Today 03:05 PM

if I click on the 'Go to last post' icon (see below), I go to jig's Epocrates post from yesterday. :confused: if it is of any help, note that the link-translation is shown in the status bar.

edit: btw, this is after closing and re-opening FF. <<shrugs>>

Attached Files:

5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Presently the last post in this forum is Jig's post as two replies have been added to this single thread.

From your description, the FORUM listing of last activity is not updating correctly on this single forum?

I had checked earlier and I believe I saw the same as you, but unfortunately did not understand your first post properly to but the puzzle in the correct order for trouble shooting.

If a new thread is added to DEALS then that should now be the listed thread.

Will test and see.

6. BAB2000

Follow-up

Created new thread, TESTING 1,2,3.

It appears listed in the boards directory as the most current thread at this time.

There were issues with the deals forum not updating correctly previously a week or so ago, splatting a deals notice from Deals as the first post of a TX thread, so issue could be related with indexing issue of this forum. Will monitor.

Thanks RA

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Where IS the 'go to last post' icon? I see the 'View last unread' at the top of the start of the thread, but not the other navigation icons.

8. RickAgresta

the icon the cursor is pointing to is what I was referring to

Attached Files:

9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

It has something to do with the fact that Deals posts aren't manually added to the forums, they are inserted by a separate, automatic process that works directly with the database.

I'll notify the developers, but there's a lot of stuff in line ahead of this.
    -

10. BAB2000

Could the situation observe be that a member started thread in the Deals forum will be treated as the last posted, and those threads started by the auto sequence be treated the same a sticky or non post?

11. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

BAB, that's pretty much what's happening. It's not supposed to be that way, of course.
    -

12. RickAgresta

thanks to all who helped enlighten me (seriously!) as to what was taking place.

13. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks, but my screen doesn't look anything like that. I can't even find the 'Time' area that's in your thumbnail. You must be using a different skin or something. If it's supposed to be the area near the 'Welcome, Username' my time there doesn't have that icon; nor does the 'time' line at the bottom.

14. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Rick, any chance of a bigger thumbnail picture? I don't see the area depicted in your post. Thanks.

15. BAB2000

When you view a forum, the threads are listed by title, in a column. The column titled "Last Post" for each thread detals the date & time of the last post as well as the member making the entry. To the right of the member's name is a little blue box with a white ">" inserted. That blue box is a shortcut to the last contribution to that thread.

I have my options set so the most current entry is actually the first entry I see, so the shortcut is not an issue for me, however if your options are set for the post to be listed in order of contribution this shortcut is very important, especially if there are multiple pages within a thread.

16. RickAgresta

Varjak, as you suggested, the Default Forum skin & Plain skin show the shortcut BAB described; neither of the 2 mobile forum skins include it.

17. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm not using the mobile skins (usually). I guess I never noticed that because I usually don't go by forum; but by 'Today's Posts' and/or 'New Posts.'

My current default skin (which I didn't select) is mostly in greens and gray-greens (except for the box around Quick Reply).

I'll have to play with my settings I guess.

Edit: Okay, I see the arrow now for 'last post' next to the name in the 'last post' column; but not for 'last unread.' The thumbnail above was so small that I couldn't recognize its orientation in the overall forum page. I checked and I'm using the Forum Default skin. I'm sorry to belabor this point; but how do I get the arrow for 'last unread?' That would be useful for me. Thanks for the help.

18. RickAgresta

if you position your mouse cursor over the thread title, a windows tip box opens that says " go to first unread post in thread whatever-the-title-is " See attached screenshot; the cursor arrow is not shown, but is positioned over the thread title.

Attached Files:

19. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Okay, I see that this ONLY works in the main forum screen. Everywhere else, when I position the cursor over the title, I get the beginning of the top post, like the preview pane in an email program. I rarely go from the main forum screen, as it only lists a few threads in each category. I look at 'Today's Posts' and I search for responses to the threads I've last read.

How did you get that nice blue theme? Mine (the Default Forum skin) is a drab gray-green!

20. RickAgresta

aside from the windows menubar, thats from the Plain skin; its right below the Brighthand default skin.