Milestone: Nokia officially ends Symbian era

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by hal, Jan 25, 2013.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Hook likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

This got me wondering about Psion, which is still alive-- apparently just acquired last October by the part of Motorola Google didn't buy.

Psion

:)

hal likes this.
  3. hal

Yeah, I also wonder what's up with them. Their vertical market devices seem to be successful enough in order to keep them into the business, and hopefully Google won't try to do a fire sale out of them. Most likely, Google did the takeover pursuing the new gold: their patents portfolio.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Given the reviews I've read of the 808 Pureview (consensus was great camera on a cripplingly-unpleasant-to-use phone), I think it's a good choice. WP8 is taking off like mad in China--the release of the Lumia 920 at the Beijing Nokia store looked like the release of a new iPhone at a San Francisco Apple store. And it's gaining traction in other markets as well.

hal likes this.
  5. hal

Notable info, Mitlov. Yes, so I figure that it has to be a decision with several edges. Part an economic decision, part technical. Perhaps just realistic in a roundup. I don't have experience with this platform, but it always seemed promising to me. It's reasonably robust while reasonably versatile, reasonably secure, and it had a pinnacle, until it was displaced by Android. Several Nokia models with Symbian really made history.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

But like Blackberry 7, it's a relic from an older generation that just doesn't hold up to modern standards. It's a relic from the days where Blackberry and Windows Mobile devices were also common. iOS, Android, and now Windows Phone have changed people's expectations about how easy and user-friendly a phone interface should be, and like BB7, Symbian just can't compete anymore.

Nokia 808 PureView review: the future of mobile imaging, wrapped in the smartphone past

Innovation or hype? Ars examines Nokia’s 41 megapixel smartphone camera | Ars Technica

Nokia 808 PureView review | The Verge

hal likes this.
  7. hal

I think that Symbian can still be up to the current times. But of course, I'm not trying to go against facts, it's just a far shot. And so much. I do perceive how the dominant platforms feature more simple UIs and manipulation, and demand less technical knowledge on behalf of the user, but I think it could still work. Now, regarding any possible future steps, I wonder whether Nokia would open-source it, or let it collect dust in the drawers.