Microsoft is going to ship a full Linux kernel in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, May 7, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I had a lot of trouble migrating from Win 7 to Win 10, some four years ago. But once I got that laptop fully working I never had a problem again. Same at work. My older laptop never had a BSOD, and my two-month-old laptop never has a problem. But my laptops are on the upper range spec-wise: core i7 (6th and 8th gen), 16GB and 32GB RAM, SSD for boot and OS, HDD for data, dedicated video cards, etc. I wonder if the problem is that M$ continues to publish minimum requirements for Win10, while in reality it requires a lot more to run smoothly. All these devices run Win10 Home, and I usually push them a lot, running several AutoCAD apps, photogrammetric software, Photoshop, etc.

Re. the original topic, I'm not sure if this will benefit me at all. I used to have dual boot (Win10 + Ubuntu) on my personal laptop, but Ubuntu never grew beyond being a novelty for me. I have too many apps and games that do not have Ubuntu versions, so I couldn't fully migrate even if I wanted to.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You could try using BlueScreenView to glean info on what is causing the issue. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html The items highlighted in pink are the cause for the crash.

You could check the health of your drive as well. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    This software can put the health report into layman's terms to help you better understand.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

As far as the initial topic, this does not have any meaningful impact on me either way. With minor exception, we're a Windows shop. My Linux knowledge is enough to be dangerous, but not enough to command critical infrastructure. This will have extensive use for some users though. Especially with being able to co-mingle Linux and Windows software. I can see this being a big boost for developers.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm using Win 10 Home because I bought a cheap laptop to replace another high-spec laptop I had recently bought and died almost immediately. I suspect due to something with Win 10 that I could never solve. I even paid $150 to Best Buy/Geek Squad who did nothing as best as I could tell.

I began having regular issues about 2-3 weeks ago, about 2 days after an update, so I don't know if it is connected. Sometimes the laptop has trouble booting up and I get the blue stopcode screen. It got a bit more stable for about 5 days and then started again. The last couple of days it's been better again. I have no idea what the issues really are.

scjjtt likes this.