Microsoft is going to ship a full Linux kernel in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, May 7, 2019.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Microsoft has surprised many in the Linux developer community in recent years. Surprises have included bringing things like the Bash shell to Windows, or native OpenSSH in Windows 10, and even including Ubuntu, SUSE Linux, and Fedora in the Windows Store. Microsoft is now going even further, with plans to ship a full Linux kernel directly in Windows 10.

“Beginning with Windows Insiders builds this Summer, we will include an in-house custom-built Linux kernel to underpin the newest version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),”explains Microsoft program manager Jack Hammons. “The kernel itself will initially be based on version 4.19, the latest long-term stable release of Linux. The kernel will be rebased at the designation of new long-term stable releases to ensure that the WSL kernel always has the latest Linux goodness.”

Link:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18534687/microsoft-windows-10-linux-kernel-feature

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't know what this means for me, a relatively unsophisticated user, but I do know that Win 10 is awful. Since the last update, my computer regularly has trouble booting up and I get a blue screen with a Windows 'stopcode' about some kind of illegal memory allocation or something like that.

scjjtt, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Win 10 sucks. I have BSOD involuntary restarts at least once a week, usually more frequently. I have lost work in progress due to the restarts.

And I spit on Edge. :vbmad: Linux and Mac users (to whom MS is now offering Edge) should RUN AWAY!!!

(RA, the Like is for getting new info out, not for the product, which is caca. :vbfrown: )

UPDATE: An hour after posting, I had a third BSOD involuntary restart within 24 hours.

4. RickAgresta

Dear Madame Moderator, not liking your post for your pain, but for your warning. I'll be dragged kicking and screaming in the near future, at work; hoping that it's the 'pro' version vs the 'home' version regarding the BSOD's. No, wait---that should be BS'sOD <g>

5. RickAgresta

Oh, and speaking of involuntary resets, my phone did that yesterday…factory style. Actually not such a big deal (God bless Titanium Backup!), and phone is a lot more responsive…I suppose have 6Gig unused internal memory helps…

6. lelisa13p

Always Pro versions of Windows since Win XP. Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro have been rock steady. :thumbsup:

I shudder to think how much worse a lesser version of Win 10 would be. :vbmad: #killmenow

7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I've been amazingly lucky. Although I share the opinions here of Windows 10, I have had no real troubles with it. It's ugly and has terrible controls, but it runs mostly smoothly and I use very few Microsoft products at this point (which might be why I have some success.) It's running on a probably 10+ year old midrange HP desktop with 6GB RAM (the RAM was the one thing I plussed out when I bought it) running Windows 10 Home (because that's the version of Win 7 that came on this cheap computer). It's awful, but it works just enough that I can't justify paying for a Mac. I have a Linux Thinkpad that I use a lot, but because I need Windows to do my radio show, I end up being lazy and using Windows more than I wish I did. I really enjoy using Linux except when something breaks and you have to find some obscure web help that is utterly indecipherable so that all you can do is type in the list of commands and pray. Lol. :vbrolleyes:

I will never touch Edge. I'm still quite happy with Firefox.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you don't buy stability with 'Pro' versions of recent Windows OS vs 'Home'. Access to features is the only thing that separates these two versions. They are the same OS code, with features either removed, or locked based upon version licensed. You don't get a cheaper hardware manager in home version vs pro version.

If you're having issues with BSOD, you're main culprits are: Failing hard drive, failing memory, bad driver.

I manage over 600 W10 systems, and I cannot recollect when a system last gave me a BSOD on W10.

9. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

My 3 computers and netbook all run Linux Mint. The newer desktop can also boot Windows 10 Pro but I haven't done that in a long time--haven't had any reason.

jigwashere, RickAgresta, Hook and 3 others like this.
  10. lelisa13p

hc, I meant that Pro versions offered more all around than Home versions, stability not necessarily being a factor. I meant to convey that Win XP and Win 7 were both very stable compared to my experiences with Win 10 right out of the box. :vbfrown:

I suppose that I shouldn't call the oh-so-polite message containing a QR on a lovely field of light blue a BSOD, since it merely informs me that "Windows has encountered a problem and will restart your computer momentarily". :vbrolleyes: (I'm paraphrasing.) :vbsmile: