Microsoft Ends Support for Windows Phone, Tells Users to switch to Android or iOS Phones.

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Hook, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Not really a surprise. In fact, have kind of the same reaction as when someone really old dies and I go "Wow, I didn't know he/she was still alive." :vbrolleyes:

http://fortune.com/2019/01/19/windows-mobile-phone-microsoft/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4485197/windows-10-mobile-end-of-support-faq

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Even on a failed platform, Microsoft still lets the end user know that support is ending. As sad as it is that Microsoft can't market a product to save their lives, EOL notices is one area that they win hands down. Apple? *uncontrolled laughing* Google only somewhat announces EOL. It is out there, but not without looking.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Mi An, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Wow! I -- I can't believe it... 2 new threads in Headline News in one day!!

Mi An, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.
  4. headcronie

Yeah, too bad they'll never be news posts from Brighthand itself.

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Now that that's done, I wonder if they'll ever put real Windows on a phone. They put a lot of energy into trying to get people to take 'windows' sans meaningful software support (the only thing Windows is actually good at) on ARM. But now you could have real windows with the full library, be a shame to not even see a surface phone that can power a surface 2-in-1 dock (a la redfly/foleo/lapdock/elitex3/etc) tried. It could finally, actually be useful.

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

It's funny, something made me think of Windows Phone the other day and I wondered if it was even around anymore. I meant to check but forgot.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Microsoft will end support for Windows 10 Mobile Office apps in 2021
    By Nick Summers
    engadget.com

[​IMG]

The end is nigh for Windows 10 Mobile. We already knew that technical support for the mobile operating system would (yep, that's tomorrow). Now, we have an official end-of-life date for the Windows 10 Mobile Office apps, too: January 12th, 2021. From that point onwards, the much-loved software suite -- including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote -- won't receive any bug fixes, security updates and general technical support. The apps will still work, Microsoft confirmed, but you won't be able to install them on any new devices.

"Because of the lack of security updates, we strongly recommend that if you wish to use Office on a phone you transition to the latest Microsoft Office apps on an iOS or Android phone," Bill Doll, senior product marketing manager for Office apps strategy at Microsoft urged.

The announcement isn't a huge surprise. Windows 10 Mobile was a commercial flop and it's been years since Microsoft released a new Lumia smartphone. The platform is slowly being retired and that, inevitably, includes any Microsoft-made apps. If you're still clinging to a Lumia 950, though, you have another year-or-so to poke around the Office apps and imagine what could have been. Personally, we're ready to move on and embrace Microsoft's dual-screen, Android-powered mobile future. We'll miss some of the platform's crazier ideas, like Continuum -- a concept Samsung is keeping alive -- but very little else. Goodbye, old friend.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  8. headcronie

Now if we can just kill off the W10 'apps' and associated store, that would be beautiful! In the past few weeks, I've been trying to expand my streaming options on my PC that I've got connected to my TV. The store app experience is beyond horrid. Apps from major networks are simply broken, with reviews that mirror my experience. Abandoned, and a waste of time. My experience is far better just using a browser, which is ironic as I can better control ads in a browser vs in an app there is no control at all.

I'd love to say "Goodbye, old friend" to that, but I don't think I ever considered it a friend, and certainly don't now.

As for Windows 10 mobile....

Goodbye, old friend. I never knew ye...