MicroSD brand and class ratings.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Player' started by Hook, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I'm looking to get a 32Gb MicroSD card (which will get me 40Gb memory). I usually buy from Newegg and was looking to get a class 10 although I'm not entirely sure that the PDA itself can take full advantage of those speeds. I am, however, trying to stay below $50.

I found a PNY Class 10 with mostly good reviews, but peppered in there are complaints about card failure, which you find with many of the 2nd tier card brands.

However, I also found a Sandisk card that is rated Class 4, but has almost universal glowing reviews including claims that speed tests show it operating at much faster than Class 4.

I'm thinking very seriously of going for the Sandisk Class 4.

I'd love input from people who know far more about these things than I do.

Here are the two I am considering so far (I'll probably keep looking around).

Newegg.com - PNY 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model P-SDU32G10-EFS2

Newegg.com - SanDisk 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ Adapter Model SDSDQM-032G-B35A

TIA :)

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

If you're planning to use this with the Player 5, be aware that although it has 8GB of internal storage, the drive that's available for the user is only 5GB. And the 32GB card will actually yield a little under 30GB (mine gives me 29.7GB right after formatting). So the total storage memory will be a tad under 35GB.
    EDIT: I see that it is for the GP5... I didn't notice on what forum you posted this thread!
    I'm not sure the GP5 will benefit from the higher rating. The camera itself at just 3.2MP is immune to the benefits of a high rating card. On my GP5, using a 32GB class 4 Sandisk SD card, I haven't noticed any lag that could be attributed to the card rating. I also tried with a class 6 card, and I didn't notice any HD video playback improvement. However, I haven't tested higher rating cards. If you want to stay below $50, check the 32GB card I got from Amazon for $27. Although the listing does not specify rating, the card itself is labeled as class 4.
    Yes, PNY does seem to have more than a fair share of failure reports. I've used only two PNY cards in 12 years, and both failed within a year. That's enough evidence for me.
    That may very well be the one I have. Do you have a benchmark program for Android that you trust? If you want I can run it with my card on my GP5.

3. Hook

Yeah, I knew I was being grandiose. I know listed capacities are never usable capacities. ;)

That's kind of what I figure. Plus I get the feeling that not all cards are equal, class rating notwithstanding. I saw the card at Amazon you linked to, but i don't like memory cards on Amazon sold by another seller. I like Newegg because I've found them very reliable for stuff like that. I might consider this one which *is* direct from Amazon:

Amazon.com: SanDisk 32 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card (card only) SDSDQM-032G: Computers & Accessories

Okay, that one goes off the list. ;)

No, I've never gotten that technically into it. That's why I post here. :p :rolleyes:

4. Hook

By the way, one of the reasons I like Newegg for "parts" is I find their user reviews both more technical and reliable than Amazon, but maybe that's just me.

5. raspabalsa

Yes, I've had the same feeling, especially with Trascend cards or Corsair cards, it always seems to me that they're faster than they should.
    Looks like the same I purchased, and only a bit more expensive, not a real concern if it makes you more comfortable.
    Well, I haven't run any card benchmarks on my GP5. I don't know what, if any, reliable programs exist for Android. I'll see if I can find any later today.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I have 32GB Transcend and SanDisk cards, both class 4, and both cost just shy of $1/GB (fairly standard these days).

From my very limited understanding, class rating was established for video recording, and for the most part shouldn't matter unless you're using it in a higher-end camera or camcorder.

Quoting from Wikipedia, "Speed Classes 2, 4, and 6 assert that the card supports the respective number of MB/s as a minimum sustained write speed for a card in a fragmented state. Class 10 asserts that the card supports 10 MB/s as a minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed."

I'm not sure what it all means, but it looks like something happened between class 6 and 10 in terms of measuring and maybe how the data is written.

I'm confused. But I'm happy with class 4 in my current devices. :)

7. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

I agree wholeheartedly. Even when I'm not buying tech from Newegg, I still hit up their reviews for info. Someone there is going to bench the heck out of whatever I'm looking at and report in full. And I got the same impression about sandisk as you did, from reviews/benches and experience. Every batch has duds and winners, but Sandisks seems to have a better average.

Higher speeds aren't worth the premium unless you need them, true enough. Besides the camera, if you are copying, say, video or a lot of audio files to your device regularly, you may appreciate the boost. It's hardly a need, but sometimes the wait on a true class 2 can get old if you do it often.

8. Hook

Yeah, I think I've decided to go with the Sandisk I linked to at Amazon (About $1.68 more than the one Raspy linked to). I really don't think, after digging around, that Class 10 does enough to make me care about it and Sandisk seems to have a very good reputation for performance.

Thanks folks for the feedback! :)

9. jigwashere

I previously boot CM7.1 on my Nook Color from the microSD card (still do on my son's). While looking into which card was better, I came across this thread. It discusses sequential read/write and random read/write speeds, among other things. It also has a link comparing various card benchmarks. Among other things, SanDisk generally was a good choice.

10. jigwashere

11. Hook

Too late. See post #8. However, thanks. :)

I've actually I've seen mixed reviews on Samsung cards. Also, I'm picky about what online retailers I buy from. I know. I'm hopelessly neurotic. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, thank you for providing the information. Very helpful.

12. jigwashere

No problem, Hook. I saw your post but didn't think you'd pulled the trigger yet. You made a great choice, IMHO.

One reason I posted the links was to see if others could help interpret the findings in relation to our intended purposes. In other words, does our choice of memory card make any real difference in the performance of our smartphones? Also, I'm booting XDAndroid on my TP2. Is it class rating or random read/write speed that makes the difference?

13. raspabalsa

There was a thread here similar to the one from XDA that jig linked to. I remember that it came as a surprise that a "slow" card would outperform higher class cards when writing small files, that is why I remember seeing that thread, although I can't find it now.

I think that for our devices, for the most common tasks (videos, music, ebooks), that is, using files that are several MB in size, it doesn't matter much what card we use, because the read speed of even a class 2 card (10MB/s, taking data from the table in XDA's thread linked by jig) is much higher than the data rate demanded by the device. For example, one of the 720p movies I encoded for my GP5 has a video bitrate of 2700kbps and an audio bitrate of 160kbps. Total bitrate would be on the order of: (2700+160)/8/1024 = 0.35MB/s, which is very much within the card's read speed. Even doubling the bitrate and adding overhead will not get near the card's rated speed. Bottom line, even a class 2 card will do fine here.

But there's small files, where lower class cards seem to have the edge. However, this would be a benefit only if you boot your device from the card, as jig did, because the OS has many very small files that need to be read as quickly as possible. In this case a lower class card seems to be a better choice.

14. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

They both make a difference for different activities. The class rating does make a difference for the transfer/writing speed of a small number of larger files. The better small random write performance that people have found to be more effective on sd booted cards makes a difference when you're running an OS and perhaps even generally working with large numbers of small files (for example, using a card for OS caching activities a la ready boost).

Since sd booting is a pretty niche activity and most people use straight up USB drives for Ready Boost, it makes sense for the class rating to pretty much ignore that bench. Including that info would only obscure what most people actually want from a fast card.

Disclaimer: this poster does not know what he is talking about, but this is how he reasoned when evaluating that same thread. Accept this info as truth at your own peril.

15. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I guess prices have bounced back up a bit. I think I posted a name brand Class 10 32GB card at J&R (very reputable) that was about $34.