Microdrive and Tosh/Vox

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by imported_Der_Kommissar, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Der_Kommissar

imported_Der_Kommissar The Voxinator

Has anyone tried using the 340 Mb microdrive with our battery starved Tosh/Vox units? The refurb price on Iomega's site is really good, but I'm afraid it will drain my battery too fast. I can get 320 mb of compact flash for about the same price from newegg.com, but there's something cool about having the hard drive- but not if it drains the battery like no tomorrow.

2. punk

punk The punk Master!

u could use Battery extender to solve the battery problem! but, without one, you'll barely get 2 hours using Microdrive!

3. imported_Der_Kommissar

That's what I figured! I'm going to try out a zinc-air external battery this weekend- more expensive over the long run, but smaller than carrying 4 AA's around. Oh, for a better internal battery!

4. leighj

leighj Mobile Deity

I own the 1 GB version.
    when I watch a DIVX movie I can only watch for 1 hour 20min before my battery indicator drops to 30% from 100%.
    Battery extender is highly recommended!
    The movie file size is about 160MB and I'm using a 6MB cache.

Mind you the biggest power guzzler I've seen is my wLAN card - I can only get 30-45 min of usage before I see the dreaded low batt warning.

5. cmalinowski

cmalinowski Mobile Enthusiast

Oh thank God, I thought there was something wrong with my battery. I put my linksys in on, what I thought was, a fully charged battery. And bam, it seemed like no time and I got the low bat light too.

Since I haven't gotten my network quite right, I won't be using it as much. I can surf with it, but all that scrolling to see the pages... gads.

Chris

6. garich

garich Guest

you can get a 512MB compact flash card at newegg.com for $185.
    why would you want to buy a microdrive?

-gary

7. Harimwakairi

Harimwakairi Livin' after midnight

Sometimes you just need that whole Gigabyte of storage... :)

Seriously, the only thing Microdrives really have over CF to justify the power draw is that they're cheaper at the extreme high-end of storage right now. If you don't need a Gig of storage, get the CF card. It's better in many ways at the 512 Meg level.

8. imported_Covert

imported_Covert iPAQ 2215

But he was asking about the 340 MB Microdrive model; not the 1 GB. Since that's the case there's absolutely no reason to get a microdrive over a CF card.

9. imported_Der_Kommissar

Well, the 340 model is about $130 right now direct from Iomega, and a 320 mb card from NewEgg is about $120- so its competetive, if the power drain difference was not so large. Its's also got to be faster than compact flash, which does introduce a delay when reading from it.

10. imported_Covert

imported_Covert iPAQ 2215

How bout you just spring for the extra $50 and get a 512 MB CF card instead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.