Micro SD vs Micro SDHC

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by CEB, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Confused again, sorry.

I want to get a Micro SD card for my MDA Vario III (AKA Tilt). I was 4GB, but they all seem to be labled MicroSD HC.

I've searched, and checked my Vario manual, and I can't find anything about the maximim capacity I can use. I suspect it's 2GB because the 4GB ones all seem to be the HC variety.

Has anyone used a 4GB one? Is it HC?

Also, how do I know whether my notebook comuputer's SD card slot will work with a 4GB MicroSDHC card (in an adapter)?

Thanks.

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

As long as your Kaiser (the HTC name for the Vario III / Tilt) is running Windows Mobile 6, you should be able to use MicroSDHC cards as well.

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

It is, Windows Mobile 6 Professional.

Thanks very much, Adama.

Didn't want to splash out £13 on a 4GB card only to find I can't use it.

All I'm worried about now is, will this work with my notebook PC. The PC has a multi-card slot. Using SIW, I see that the SD device is "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller".

The Micro SD Card I want to buy is here.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

I would operate on the assumption that your PC does not have an SDHC compliant slot unless it is very, very new.

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

PC is nearly a year old. The card I want to buy "ships with Bonus MicroMate USB 2.0 SD/SDHC Reader, to ensure compatibility when downloading pictures or other digital content". I'm not sure whether that means it will work with 'standard' SD card slots.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

An SDHC card will not work with non-SDHC slots. Some reasonably recent laptops may support SDHC: I know, for instance, that most of the Thinkpads which include an SD slot support SDHC.

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

It's probably a USB card reader and by what you have described indicates it works with both SD and SDHC. Hopefully it comes with an adapter for the micro cards.

8. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

9. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. You might have to download some drivers for the reader, but XP should have them already. If not, SanDisk can provide them. The essential part is the microSD-SD adapter. With that, you should be able to use the card in any regular SD slot. It will probably be necessary to use it in the reader. I have an SDHC card, which naturally won't work in my Palm, but works great in my Eee PC. I haven't tried it in my Windows PC, though, because I almost never turn it on these days, so I can't say for sure your PC will read it. I'd bet it will, though, with the proper drivers.

10. dockehr

dockehr Newbie

CEB, I have the same micro to standard SD adapter and micro SDHC card that you posted. The included USB reader should work with your laptop as my Toshiba is almost two years old and I have no problem with the Sandisk USB reader and micro to standard SD card combination. If I try to insert the micro to standard card combo into the SD card slot on my Toshiba, the laptop will not read the card. If I use the included USB reader in a USB slot it reads the card with no problems. Hope this helps.

dockehr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.