Max SDHC card speed?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by hal, Jul 6, 2012.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Anybody familiar with the Treo 680, please remind me, what's the maximum card speed that this device allows? Class 6, perhaps? I am hesitant in purchasing an SDHC 32 GB Class 10 card, for I believe this speed could result too much for this mobile device. BTW, as it was not uncommon with Palm, it seems that the available specifications and literature don't mention this detail.

TIA!

2. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I didn't even know the Treo could handle that large a card and I don't remember PowerSDHC being compatible with the Treo. I would be surprised if the Treo would be able to take advantage of anything over class 4, but it might be able to ignore the fact that the card is class 10 if you want an investment for the future.

Anyway, not very helpful, but was just surprised you could use a 32Gb SDHC card with a Treo.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Yup, the 680 and 755p can handle sdhc with no problem, and the protocol slows up to 32GB. The card class doesn't matter, but older (and most newer) smartphones can't take advantage of the faster potential. Class 4 is fine, but 10 will work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2, Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

4. hal

Perhaps even the guys at Palm didn't know it either, Pirate, speaking of the 32 GB cards, for the very brochures of these Treo devices don't clarify it right away. All they mention is that the SDIO port is able to handle SDHC cards; it's native supported, you don't need PowerSDHC (that isn't offered for these devices anyway). I have used SDHC cards at 4 and 16GB, and tried cards at 32 GB twice, the latter just to see if they worked. They all do. The odd thing is not if the 680 & 755p can handle them, but why did they drop this compatibility in the TX. Regarding the Treo 755p, I kinda remember that the user guide mentions "that you can use 8 GB MiniSDHC", but this device can certainly handle larger cards.

There is a known issue, though. The Palm Files app can report erroneous card info, regarding total storage size, used storage, available storage. However, this doesn't involve errors in reading/writing/storing/finding contents in the card. This problem was reported several times by Holvoetn in the past, with his Treo 680. Anyway, my basic concern is regarding the card's class. As these devices are not new, I'm wondering whether the newer and faster cards like Class 10 will work. Just as you point out, these cards could keep on being useful in the future, so I wish to get a card of contemporary speeds.

jig, you sure? Will the Treo 680 handle a Class 10? OK, I'm gonna buy one. And speaking of the 755p, did you ever use a 32 GB MiniSDHC?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I never used a mini SDHC. Was there such a thing? I used an adapter for micro SDHC. In fact, when my adapter was failing, Hook was kind enough to ship me a spare.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yes, I have a 2Gb miniSD that came with my 2nd hand 755p. I switched to microSDHC w/mini adapter, too

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

They didn't drop it... Palm didn't have SDHC compatibility back then, which is why the T5 and LD can't use SDHC natively either. The TX was released a year before the 680, IIRC.

I'm guessing they will work, although I don't have a Treo to test. But I did test my 8GB class 10 micro SDHC and a friend's 32GB class 10 SDHC on my TX with powerSDHC and both work.

Just be sure to get a micro SDHC card, that way you'll maximize compatibility with current and future models.

Sent from my Galaxy Player 5 using Tapatalk 2

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I thought all SDHC drivers could handle any size SDHC card.

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

But this is more about the Class than the size. I was mentioning the two Class 10 cards I've used on my TX, as evidence that Palms can use these high speed cards.

Sent from my Galaxy Player 5 using Tapatalk 2

10. hal

The specific reason for that question, jig, is that you may recall that the Treo 755p doesn't have a card slot big enough in order to receive a (full size) SD card (whether SD or SDHC or whatever). The 755p's slot is smaller, and it admits miniSD cards. Following your own question in turn, I don't know if there were miniSDHC cards. But if the 755p can handle microSDHC, then it can allot much more external memory. Thanks.

Timely contribution, Rick, thanks.

Some time after posting today, I figured that, Raspy. The TX actually predates the Treos under discussion.

Hmmm, OK, I'm gonna take my chances with a Class 10. The cost difference is not too much, and I'd be getting a very contemporary storage device, which I could eventually use with other devices. BTW it's great to have you back here! :)

Just ass Raspy points out, Jig, my concern is not actually regarding the size with the Treo 680 (however it is with the Treo 755p), notwithstanding the fact that storage size is related to format. I'm worried about the card Class. OK, I think that the doubt is solved. I'm getting an SDHC 32 GB Class 10.

Couple of months ago, I saw the Samsung Galaxy Note at a very affordable price at Best Buy, and I didn't buy it right away cause I didn't have the money at the moment (OK nor the credit card, shoot). Last weekend I went again and I saw it at almost three times the cost I saw it two months ago. Musta been an introductory offer or something. I have knocked my head against the desk all week. Should've got it then. Or perhaps it was the cost saddling up on a monthly plan with a carrier, I could have missed that one, and the price I'm looking for anyway is for a GSM unlocked. And I ain't switching to monthly plan anytime soon.

The point is, I'm stuck with my current device for a while. In the days to come, I'm moving to another house, so unforeseen expenditures can easily take place. I can't take my chances with a new device right now. Or with other expenses that I currently deem non-essential, for the case. So I'm doing an extreme makeover to my 680. I need to clean as much internal memory as I can, as well as getting as much external memory as I can, I'll have to give up some goodies, I'm ordering replacement housings for both the 680 and the 755p, and a replacement keyboard for the latter.

Thank you all, people :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012