Map Apps comparable to Mapopolis?

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Shinno, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Jello, I've been using mapopolis for a few months now, and the detail and accuracy is astounding... but the only problem is that you can only view maps by county!!! This is EXTREMELY annoying and inconvenient when trying to navigate through large metropolitan areas like New York, where counties are no larger than a city.

With that said, i'm looking for some feedback on other map programs that have the same detail and accuracy Mapopolis offers, but DOES NOT make you view them by county to county. SD card maps or anything!

2. Bill Gamble

Bill Gamble Mobile Deity

Am I to assume that you've tried the "Load Contiguous Maps" setting and found it wanting?

3. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Hello Bill,

Yes, you assume correctly. I think it was you who informed about the contiguous option... however I am still unsatisfied since it takes so much space in the ram. In order for me to view an entire county (e.g. Los Angeles county is split up into 4 sections, each at least 1.5mb), i have to either erase or swap around files from RAM to SD, which is a huge inconvience itself.

Thanks anyway :)

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

It's inconvenient, but it's workable. I keep >10MB free on my Zire 71 by running almost everything from the card. I only keep stuff that uses alarms, and thus requires access to the time, in RAM. I regularly load Harris County, TX, which is >6MB, plus adjacent counties.

That said, DeLorme lets you choose what to put on the card or in RAM. The interface is the worst I've ever seen, and it regularly crashes my Palm, but it's there & it's cheap. The inconvenience to me is having to deal with the PC interface & the resulting hotsync. That takes much, much more time than swapping to & from the card, & you have to have a PC to do it.

A quick google search will show several mapping apps. Try them & see what you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.