Make your ROM english !

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by elektrownik, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elektrownik

elektrownik Mobile Deity

2. zinphi03

zinphi03 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks a lot!!! Exactly what I've needed!!! I will post you afterwards if it works. :D

3. zinphi03

4. zinphi03

I've flashed the device now from french to english and it works perfectly (so maby all other languages work as well):D . The only thing is that the english image above isn't clean at all and so you have to do a CLEAN BOOT first. :p
    I suggest we can now try to collect the "nanddump -f somwhere /dev/mtd0" - images in different languages so that people can easily get their preferred ones.

5. elektrownik

elektrownik Mobile Deity

it wasnt clear (after clean boot) ? If yes, than sorry it is not my dump, becouse i havent got non sdhc sd to run linux and make dump. This one is frommy friend, i say him to make cleam boot first... but as i see he didnt do this, i think that in future we can make dump of os partition only, we dont need to make full dump of memory to change language... thanks for your great work with testing this, send me pm and i will tell you how to make dum from system partition only

6. zinphi03

I must say i'm not so deep in this subject matter that i know the exactly offsets of the sub-partitions of the rom and i'm not sure neither if they are the same for every IPAQ 214 nor that it would be senseful (because user data could get useless) flashing only a part.
    I think if we make a clean boot before creating the whole backup the compressed *.bin wouldn't be that much bigger than of system partition only (my french dump is about 66mb (of total 256mb)) and from my point of view it would sure be safer.

7. tapdov

tapdov Mobile Enthusiast

1) Not sure what running linux has to do with making a dump. My ROM dumped just fine in Windows XP with pdocread.
    2)The reason for the "pdocread -l" command at the start is to check the offsets. It seems like the numbers are the same on all 210's (same rom = same offsets).

8. artur_k

artur_k Mobile Enthusiast

with making a dump - not much
    but for flashing you need it

9. zinphi03

To 1.) As described here it's quite easy to make a full backup in linux since it recognises the IPAQ's rom as a single device(mtd0) which has only to be saved to a file (on a sd-card e.g.). Same easy to recover; you only have to overwrite the device(mtd0).... and you have no need of further hw.
    2.) Because I'm sure that all IPAQ 214 use the same hardware, this method seems to me as a layman(i'm not really deep into) foolproof.

10. elektrownik

elektrownik Mobile Deity

Ok, can you try this:
    nanddump -f /home/root/part00.bin /dev mtd0
    nanddump -f /home/root/part01.bin /dev mtd1
    nanddump -f /home/root/part02.bin /dev mtd2
    And etc.to last mtd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.