Make Palm Desktop Hotsync Manager work in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Ken in Regina, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

Sorry to spoil the fun but I made it home safely on Monday night. No encounters with either hungry bears or bears looking to steal my motorcycle. Our loop was about 3800 km.

... ken...

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm glad you're home safe. It sounds like you had a great time.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p likes this.
  3. asmithey

asmithey Newbie

I have followed all the instructions installing Palm Desktop 4.1. I have downloaded the x64 drivers. I have read the post from Microsoft about updating the driver manually. When I go to device manager I do not see the palm in the list of devices....Any ideas how to get it to show up? It is plugged in...

EDIT: I just had to hit the hot sync button once. Then it showed up in the device manager...I changed the driver....

I then opened up Palm Desk top and hit sync...and it works!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    lelisa13p likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Congrats, and welcome to Brighthand! thanks, too, for updating your post.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  5. Ken in Regina

Yes, thanks for updating to let us know it worked.

Just for anyone interested, it also works in Windows 10 Technical Preview. Can you believe it??

I installed the Technical Preview by doing an upgrade in place on my Windows 8.1 system which also happens to be the system that has Palm Desktop installed on it. I was able to use CompanionLink to sync my Palm Desktop with my Google contacts and calendar. Then I synced the Desktop to my Garmin iQue 3600A.

I did not do anything special to get it to work. this was an operating system upgrade which maintained my applications and drivers from Windows 8.1. Since this was the first time I used any of these apps/devices in Windows 10 I had to wait a few seconds while it installed the necessary drivers. But it worked right off without any intervention on my part. Not bad for an operating system that's not even really in beta yet. :thumbsup:

...ken...

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Ken in Regina

This is just a bump to let anyone interested know that I've updated the first message in the thread to make it more complete without having to read the entire thread. I don't know if anyone will ever need it again but it seems worthwhile to leave it in good shape, just in case.

While I'm here I might as well also wish everyone all the best of the season and a healthy and prosperous new year!

...ken...

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

You, too, Ken, and thanks for the update :newpalm:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Thanks for the update and wishes, Ken. All the best to you, too.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Moderators appreciate your update and wish you a Happy New Year! :vbsmile:

10. Ni_

Ni_ Newbie

Hi!

Thanks for keeping this thread up-to-date!
    I still quite like my Palm Tungsten T3 and this thread helped me get the antique Palm software and the Aceeca driver installed on my new computer!

The Aceeca documentation is quite good, however, Windows can be quite stubborn when it comes to installing drivers, especially when it thinks for you and says "The best driver software for your device is already installed". I used this page to solve the problem:
    http://rake.sh/blog/2011/09/23/how-...our-device-is-already-installed-in-windows-7/

Basically, from the Device manager, you
    1) Choose “Update Driver Software”;
    2) Choose “Browse my computer for driver software”;
    3) Choose “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”;
    4) Click “Have Disk” button;
    5) Then you navigate to the folder where you unzipped the driver and you select the .inf file. Windows will install the driver;
    6) Finally, you Hotsync, Windows will "install" the driver once more (do some more stuff thus but who knows what...) and it works! Yeah

It might need a couple of reboots in between the steps but I lost count during the install process so I cannot document that for future generations o_O;)

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.