Make Palm Desktop Hotsync Manager work in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Ken in Regina, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

Hey jig, Good to see you're still alive and kicking!!

Stan, a couple of things. When you connect your TX to the PC where the Palm Desktop is running, you do so via your home wifi network ... the one that's being run by your "wifi hub" (usually referred to as a router or switch). So you will connect to your wifi hub in similar fashion to the way you do with your laptop. That is, on the Palm you will turn on wifi and select the network hub when it shows up in the list and enter the appropriate password.

Once the TX is connected to your wifi hub you need to work from both ends to get the wifi sync working the first time. You need to open the Hotsync Manager on the PC and set it to wifi sync, giving it any relevant information about the TX it might require. Then you need to open the Hotsync Manager on the TX and tell it to use wifi sync. It will need some information as well that should be easy to supply. I don't recall the details off the top of my head and my TX is back in the bottom of a drawer.

Here's a page with detailed description.

Once you have it set up, the Hotsync Managers on the PC and TX will "find" each other automatically whenever you do a hotsync. The only Gotcha here is that once you're set up for wifi hotsync you will need to remember to change back to the "local" or "USB" option on both the PC and TX hotsync managers. If you forget to do this you will tear your hair out trying to figure out why the USB sync won't work. Fortunately I don't have much hair left so I discover the problem fairly quickly when I forget. :)

Okay, now to the mystery of being an administrator versus doing things as an administrator. It's actually fairly simple in concept but can be confusing in how it comes at you sometimes. Yes, based on all the information you provided, you are an administrator on your system. However, just because you ARE an administrator doesn't mean that Windows will automatically always let you DO things that require administrator privileges.

When you have administrator privileges it's really easy to shoot yourself in the foot. Or even blow your leg off. So there are times when Windows will "challenge" you. You gave some examples where you tried to do something that required administrator privs and Windows challenged you. As you saw, all you had to do was say "OK" and it happened.

Windows was, in effect, asking you politely if you really knew what you were doing and giving you a chance to back off from doing something you might later regret.

Same deal for "Run As Administrator". In this case the difference is who or what has the administrator privileges. Just as you need administrator privileges to do certain things, programs also have that same requirement. Without administrator privileges, some programs may be blocked from doing things they need to do. So they have to somehow acquire those administrator privileges.

When you run a program as administrator you are, in effect, giving that program your administrator privileges. In that way, the program can do things it would not otherwise be able to do. So by default Windows will never run a program as administrator. You must ALWAYS do it explicitly or it won't happen. This avoids the possibility of the user inadvertently giving administrator privileges to a program that does not need them, or should not have them.

One final piece is distinguishing between the installer program and the program it is about to install. When you "run as administrator" an installer, like SETUP.EXE, to install a program you are only giving the administrator privileges to the installer program, NOT to the program it is installing. Installation programs sometimes need administrator privileges to set certain features in the Registry for the program being installed. If it doesn't have the necessary privileges it may still install the program without any errors or warnings. But the installed program may not be able to do all the things it would otherwise be able to, even though it appears to otherwise run just fine.

If you have never explicitly used the "Run As Administrator" option when running a program or shortcut then the chances are good that you've never run anything as administrator.

I hope that all makes sense. :)

...ken...

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  2. PalmTXFan

PalmTXFan Newbie

Hi Ken,
    Your explanation is crystal clear; I'm slowly coming up to speed. Could you suggest how I may become a full-blown administrator? I understand that I somehow have denied admin privileges to the programs I have installed. Is that a result of how I installed Win7 in the first place? I'm hoping that I and the programs I install are all accorded full admin rights. If you haven't yet had enough of my questions (this should be my last), how can both be accomplished?
    Thanks again,
    Very best regards,
    Stan

3. Ken in Regina

Stan, I'll be short because I'm on the road on a motorcycle trip right now. I think you misunderstand one point (or I've misunderstood your question). You have not denied admin privileges to programs you installed. You may have failed to explicitly grant them to some.

In any case, if you have programs that are causing you problems because they may need admin privilrges - and there are likely very few that need them - you can right-click on the .EXE file and choose to Run as Administrator. You have to do that each time you run it.

Or you can right-click on the shortcut for the program, select Properties and check the box to enable Run as Administrator, so the privileges will be granted every time you use the shortcut to launch the program.

In rare cases you may need to uninstall the program and reinstall it, but this time run the installer (usually setup.exe) by right-clicking it and using Run as Administrator. This is the method I suggested for installing Palm Desktop 6.2 in the original post of this thread. You may want to go back and reread it with a fresh eye for some of the details. :)

...ken...

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Ken, please don't post while on your motorcycle. ;)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

5. Ken in Regina

Cell phone touchscreens are a bear with motorcycle gloves on! :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. PalmTXFan

PalmTXFan Newbie

Ken, I'm echoing jigwashere, please don't post while on your motorcycle! The very idea scares the hell out of me.

"The big circle" has closed in a way I now understand Your "method I suggested for installing Palm Desktop 6.2 in the original post of this thread"...I get it!
    Thank you so much for your patient, informative coaching. I'm certain to soon have Desktop up & running, and will pass along the favors.
    Respectfully,
    Stan

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Hey Stan, I'm on a motorcycle trip but not on the bike when I post. I have enough trouble watching out for idiot drivers to ever mess with computers while I'm riding. It would have been more correct if I had said I was heading to bed for an early start the next morning. But it wouldn't have been as interesting! :)

For what it's worth we've clocked 3,000 km since we left home on Monday. Up to northern Saskatchewan and across northern Alberta to Dawson Creek, BC, then down the west side of Alberta to Calgary.

...ken...

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Ken, please don't ride your motorcycle while being eaten by grizzly bears!

scjjtt likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

uh, jig? Agree, if the motorcycle was being eaten by grizzlies. If I was being eaten by grizzlies, though, riding the motorcycle doesn't sound so bad to me… ymmv :D

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And besides, haven't you ever seen those circus bears that ride around on those tiny little motorbikes? He might have to fight the bear for the right to ride that motorcycle. :D