Make Palm Desktop Hotsync Manager work in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Ken in Regina, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

Same setup here and I have no problem searching with "Search Extenstions" checked.

Do you have any extensions installed?

...ken...

2. PalmTXFan

PalmTXFan Newbie

Getting Windows 7 to Sync and work with Palm Desktop 6.2.
    For a long time I’ve been looking for help on this subject having had no luck with Palm Desktop 6.2.
    My TX and Toshiba Satellite P300 get partway into the sync’ing process then abruptly grind to a halt. I once just left them alone, 2 hours later the progress bar hadn’t budged a nanometer.
    Today an “aha moment” jumped out of this page:
    Palm Support : Palm Desktop 6.2 and HotSync Manager (Windows)
    In the list of Palm Desktop 6.2 requirements, here's what hit me in the noggin:
    Computer
    • 250 MB available hard disk space
    • One available USB port and cable for synchronization (not required for Bluetooth synchronization)
    • Not compatible with dual- or multiple-CPU computers
    My Satellite P300 has an “Intel Core 2 Duo CPU” which I learned is shorthand for dual-CPU.
    I have found out how to disable one of my CPU’s but want first to consult with some people more knowledgeable than me.
    I am guessing that if I run my system on 1 CPU and this way get Palm Sync and Desktop up & running again that I’ll have to remember to re-enable both CPU’s for anything other than the Palm functions?
    If I were to forget re-enabling both (a highly likely event), could there be negative consequences on the operation of programs previously installed and run with two CPU’s? This is ‘way out of my depth; I can’t even guess the outcome.
    Is there another solution? I can find only Palm Desktops 4 and 6 for download. Is there a version in between that supports the Palm TX and also will work with a dual CPU?
    I’d be most grateful for any reactions to the above, or other strategies I’ve missed. My nightmare is being without a desktop to refresh my data onto nor from which to recover any of it should the TX die.
    Huge Thanks!!

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I actually have my doubts they were were referring to cores integrated onto a single chip, but I'm certainly not an expert. Have you tried the Aceeca drivers? Have you tried bluetooth? Wifi is also problematic unless you have an older router that only does b/g-- the TX never liked routers with n protocol even in mixed mode.

Wish I were more help, but has been a long time since I have used either a TX or Palm Desktop, although I still have my TX help Links in my sig from years ago. Try this thread which is linked on my page and see if it helps:

http://forum.brighthand.com/palm-tx/281989-how-install-new-aceeca-64bit-drivers-tx.html

lelisa13p likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

welcome to Brighthand, PalmTXFan

agree with Hook, especially w.r.t. the drivers from Aceeca and the Core2Duo. when you did the desktop install, did you do it as a system administrator? also, you should check windows device manager to see if any hardware has any error messages. lastly, have you tried a different USB port on your pc, and/or a different comm cable (if you have one)?

lelisa13p likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, PalmTXFan!

Good luck getting Hotsync working. I agree with Hook and RA about trying the Aceeca drivers. It's been a long time, but I'm sure I was hotsyncing on my last computer, at it was dual core (WindowsXP). Please keep us posted on your progress.

You need to work on a data migration strategy right away. I'm pretty sure you'll be successful getting Hotsync to work at some point, and when you do, you've got to work on getting your data into a format that's viable across other systems. Consider syncing with Outlook or searching these forums for ways to get your data to Android or iOS.

Good luck!

Hook likes this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

at the very least, and this is something I should have said earlier, do a backup NOW to your SD card, on the TX!, just in case the worst happens and you need to replace the TX. there are good free options available, as well as non-HotSync methods to transfer from PC to TX. PilotInstall can be used instead of HotSync, to DL to the TX, in the event that a Bluetooth transfer isn't an option; same is true if a WiFi transfer is a no go; lastly, if your laptop doesn't include an IR port (most don't these days), you could use this to transfer an app, like NVBackup, to the Palm. And finally, you could download directly to the TX, if you can get on the internet with it.

highly recommended backup: Freeware Palm: NVBackup v1.21 -- runs strictly on the TX
    transfer to TX from PC: Freeware Palm: Simply Install - Pilot Install v4.8.0 -- runs on the PC, via USB HotSync cable

I've used both of the above with no problems

lelisa13p, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I agree with Jig 100%. Now is the time to develop a plan to be able to use your data with a future platform.

I would look at Companion Link, which can sync many Desktop organizers, including Palm desktop, to pretty much all current mobile platforms, including Android, iOS and Windows Phone. It is what I use on Android. They are pricey, but unless you are going to migrate your data to something like Google, they really provide the mos complete desktop syncing solution. You can also look at Pimlical, created by CESD who was the developer of DATEBK6, which can import data from Palm Desktop, but it is so far an Android solution only. Pimlical is a little more technical than Companion Link with greater complexity, but if you don't mind the learning curve, you can get it to do almost anything you want. Both solutions provide direct sync to your desktop (CL via USB, wifi, BT and cloud push, your choice, Pimlical via wifi). Both are excellent solutions going into the future.

Sync calendar, contacts, tasks and notes to Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry - CompanionLink

Pimlico Software

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

The Core Duo and other multi core CPUs are not a problem. A couple weeks ago I sync'ed my TX and my brother-in-law's Garmin iQue (another Palm OS device) via USB sync cable to Palm Desktop 6.2 on both my Windows 7 quad-core computer and my Windows 8 dual core computer.

I agree with the others who have suggested that you install the Aceeca drivers if you have not already done so. Make sure you get the correct one for the version of Windows you have, eg. 32-bit or 64-bit, as linked in the first post in this thread.

You could also try doing a sync using wifi. It works a treat and avoids having to worry about USB drivers and other such issues but you need to be sure to configure your router to work on 802.11B. It will work fine if the router is set to use 802.11B and G. If you have a Dlink router, wifi sync might not work if you set it to B/G/N. This is a problem with some Dlink routers that B will not work when you set it to B/G/N but works fine if you set it to B/G.

I also agree that you need to make sure you have a backup strategy in place. It's a good idea in any case but especially important in your case. Being able to backup to SD card is really important because you can't currently sync.

If you don't already have a backup program installed that does backups to the SD card, the easiest way to get one installed is to download the .prc file for the backup program to your PC and then email it to yourself. Open the email on the TX and click the attachment icon. This will allow you to download and install the .prc file on the TX.

If you don't have email working on the TX you can do it with the SD card. Stick the card in a card reader on your PC and copy the .prc file to the card. Put the card back in the TX and see if you can run the program from the SD card. If not, use a file manager like FILEZ to copy the .prc file to the main memory on the TX and run it from there.

I use Cardbkup. Once it is installed on the TX you can go into the app and ask it to move itself to the SD card. Once you do that your SD card backup is completely standalone. That is, with Cardbkup installed on the card you have both the backup files and the backup/restore app installed on the card. So you can insert the SD card into any Palm device and restore everything, or just selected files, to the new device.

I believe you can do the same thing with NVBackup.

If you can't find them elsewhere, both Cardbkup and NVBackup are available to download from here.

Finally, I know this isn't a For Sale forum but if you need a working Palm TX as a backup device I have one here that I could be persuaded to part with. I also have a new battery and glass digitizer for it that I have never gotten around to installing.

...ken...

9. PalmTXFan

PalmTXFan Newbie

Hi Ken,
    I have been amazed over and over by the courtesy and generosity of Brighthand members, an obvious result of your leadership style. Your offer of Palm hardware particularly touched me. Parting with hardware that no longer is sold is particularly generous. Thank you very much, but you need not part from it for me.
    I overstated my fear of data loss. I do have RescoBackup installed and creating a daily backup onto SD. I also have a spare TX, display and battery. What I do miss, not having Desktop running, is having quick access to a decade+ of memos & contacts via my PC.
    With no Desktop, reloading the spare TX would be a major project for me,

Thank you for clarifying that multi-CPU’s are a non-issue. I’m glad to be able to eliminate that fuzzy variable.

I’ll soon download the Aceeca drivers. In case a USB connection fails, my laptop uses an Intel 5100 AGN WiFi. I’m in the dark on this subject, which property would you suggest?
    Available Properties are:
    802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 20 MHz only
    802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2 Auto
    802.11n Mode Enabled
    Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g 11
    Ad Hoc QoS Mode WMM Disabled
    Fat Channel Intolerant Disabled
    Mixed Mode Protection CTS-to-self Enabled
    Roaming Aggressiveness 3. Medium
    Transmit Power 5. Highest
    Wireless Mode 6. 802.11a/b/g

It currently is set to 802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 20 MHz only / or AUTO. I presume this is the connection to my WiFi Hub, so I’m not sure what I can change without affecting ‘net connectivity.

In addressing my issue of enabling the Palm TX under Win7, I’ve been asked if I installed the Desktop as a system administrator. This subject is murky for me.
    Bringing up My User Account shows me to be:
    Stan
    Administrator
    Password Protected
    As far as I can see, I am a system administrator. And yet, sometimes (not often) when I delete an ordinary file I’m surprised to be informed that I must have administrative privileges and is it OK to proceed? I’m surprised because a) I assume that I am a system administrator and b) if I’m not, all I have to do is click OK to do something that only an administrator should be able to?
    Until I can answer this, I won’t be able to install anything knowing that I’ve done so as an administrator.
    A further indication that I’m not an administrator: when I right-click on some (not all) desktop program icons, one of the options available to me is “run as Administrator”. So it seems that I have installed most, but not all programs as an administrator.
    What am I missing?
    Thank you again,
    Stan

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hello, Ken in Regina! Long time no see. :)

lelisa13p likes this.