Make Palm Desktop Hotsync Manager work in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Ken in Regina, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

UPDATE 24 December 2014 -- Here's something I should have done a very long time ago to make this post a complete reference. First, here's the link to a post (Post #22) a little farther down the thread with a fairly simple step-by-step instruction on the actual installation of the Palm Desktop program.

Make Palm Desktop Hotsync Manager work in Windows 7

Second, here's a link (from Post #11) to a Microsoft article on how to perform the driver change:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...iver-hardware-isnt-working-properly=windows-7

Those two references should close the loop and make this first message a complete reference, although there is still useful and interesting information in the rest of the thread. Of course you need to read the rest of this first message before the above two links will be much good.

Peace to everyone everywhere.

...ken...

---------------

UPDATE 21 May 2014 -- This works fine in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update as well as Windows 7. I have also updated the download links.

...ken...

---------------

I'm creating this post as a new thread because there are bits and pieces scattered around in various threads and across at least three years. By creating a new thread I hope it will be easier for folks to find and be comfortable that it's current information. ..... At least for awhile. :)

For those like me who still have not managed to find a suitable replacement for working with a nicely featured handheld that is tightly integrated with a matching set of desktop tools, here's how to get your Palm Desktop Hotsync manager working with Windows7.

The first thing to know is that the most common versions of the Palm Desktop and Hotsync Manager will happily run in any version Windows7. I have used Garmin's version of Palm Desktop 4.1, PalmOne's Palm Desktop 4.2 and Access Palm Desktop 6.x. I have used them successfully on Windows7 Home Premium x86, Ultimate x86 and Ultimate x64.

The second thing to know is that the only issue you have to solve to get it to work as reliably as it all did in WindowsXP is the USB drivers. The old drivers can sometimes be persuaded to work in the x86 versions of Win7 but it's quite hopeless to get them working in the x64 versions.

The third and final thing to know is that there are up to date Palm USB drivers available for x86 and x64 versions of Win7.

A company named Aceeca makes modern PalmOS devices and has created drivers for Win7. They have kindly made them available for general download. So you just need to install whatever version of the Palm Desktop you prefer to work with, skip the "first hotsync" step, download and install the right Aceeca driver (x86 or x64) and you're back in business.

Here are the links:

x64 (64-bit) driver here:
    Aceeca.com :: Rugged Palm Powered™ Handhelds

x86 (32-bit) driver here:
    Aceeca.com :: Rugged Palm Powered™ Handhelds

Enjoy.

...ken...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Ni_ and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Ken, when you say "x86" I think you mean "x32". What you are talking about here is whether the version of the OS is compiled for 32 bit or 64 bit handling of data and memory.

The drivers are needed for 64 bit versions of Windows 7, which is pretty much default with new computers although there is a 32 bit version of Windows 7.

3. jamesbennetdotcom

jamesbennetdotcom Mobile Evangelist

I put a tutorial here:

James-Bennet.com

Says how to get legacy palm devcies USB syncing with Office 2010 under 64 bit windows 7.

To debunk another old myth circulating - flashing ROMs under 7 does work (at least it did with my IIIx over serial)

4. Ken in Regina

No. I mean "x86". That is the official Microsoft designation for the 32-bit version of Windows. Check MSDN or TechNet for confirmation.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

If you are interested in the back story, here's a short description:

architecture - x86 vs x64 - Why is 32-bit called x86? - Super User

The Aceeca drivers are also needed for the 32-bit versions. Left to its own resources, Windows will load the same ancient Palm USB drivers as your Palm Desktop software installs. As I mentioned in the original post, they sort of work in the 32-bit versions of Win7 but are inconsistent.

...ken...

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Oh, I understand. My only point is that there are folks that will be confused by the use of that designation rather than 32-bit. Even your x86 link takes one to the Acceca page where they use the 32-bit designation. No big deal. :)

hal likes this.
  6. jamesbennetdotcom

It gets more confusing when people start using x86_64, and x64 interchangeably....

7. Ken in Regina

And let's not forget the AMD64 reference -- in some error messages or the names of some Windows components -- that can really screw with people's heads when they know they have an Intel CPU in their computer.

...ken...

8. jamesbennetdotcom

Yeah but intel did licence the 64-bit extensions from AMD.

The point of MS using AMD64 in windows components is because they used to support Intel Itanium (IA64) before, and people got confused.

9. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,

I recently got a win 7- 64 bit laptop. I use a T3 & want to put my Palm desktop on my new comp. I've been reading this thread on how to get the Aceeca drivers on it. Several posts back it says that there is a tutorial & I clicked on jamesbennett.com to open it but nothing is there.

I am not computer savvy so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

10. Ken in Regina

You are not doing anything wrong. There is no longer anything there.

...ken...