Mac User Needs TE Hotsync Help

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Vickie, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Let me get the sequence of events straight. Your Palm was used first by your DH, and hotsync was to a G3. Then last April (2005) you hard reset the TE in order for your Hotsync ID to be used on a laptop instead. Am I right so far? Then you have your last hotsync recorded in August 2005 on your laptop with your Hotsync ID. If these circumstances are all correct, then you will have to restore your data (if it's possible to do that) from the files in your laptop with the TE's current Hotsync ID. This fact is true whether on a PC or a Mac. :)

Please keep on posting this issue until we're sure that there's no hope whatsoever or until the MacBraineys :D here can help you restore the info that remains in your laptop to the TE - which is what I'm hoping for! :newpalm: Don't give up.

2. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

To correct your summary:
    The palm was always mine. My DH( who would be even more dear if he could fix this for me right now) set me up on the G3 and used his name. I don't know why. That is where I was hot sync-ing. The last record of hot sync on the G3 is 4/05. I was hot syncing regularly. Then I switched to the laptop which is an ibook. The last record I have of hotsync-ing on the ibook is 8/05 (I'm bad). I was hotsync-ing regularly but clearly got lazy.
    I would be seriously interested to know if my info is not lost in the laptop. Did the Mac-ies kick me back? I see my thread was moved. The lap top info is the best chance of me retrieving the most of my information. If I have to take the G3 information I will but the PDA won't take either right now and I can't figure out why. So where do I go from here? Is it a simply PDA issue or a something MAC people need to help me through?
    How do I restore the data as you mentioned with the TE current hotsync ID? I don't know what that means. I'm willing to try.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hmm.. you are right.. ok... who dun it... who moved this thread back to TE? Fess up now... I personally think this belongs back in the Mac Hotsync area.. but I'm not going to play tug of war.. and as of yet.. I'm still no further help. :(

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Darn, HC, if you're not right - someone did move this back to the TE forum! I've been reading thru CP and didn't notice the move. I've changed the thread title to "Mac User Needs TE Hotsync Help" and moved it back. I guess someone keyed on the "Tungsten E" in the original title. Definitely a Mac topic, to help restore from Mac backup data if possible. :newpalm:

Vickie, you used the Hotsync ID on the TE that agrees with your laptop for that last hotsync, correct? Not your DH's previous ID that's on the G3, also correct?

5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

I saw that too, wasn't me since I moved it in the first place to attract expertise I don't have. Thanks Lauren.

6. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

In answer to the below question (I think by ID you mean "user"--if you mean something else, let me know how I look up ID)...
    I didn't do anything different. I plugged it in. I pushed the star on the TE. And it went to do it's thing. It just didn't work.
    Now since you asked that, on the ibook I look into HotSync, User, and both Aaron & Vickie are there. My name only has the 2 Palm technical addressess left (so empty) and Aaron's name has 0 addresses (that wouldn't matter, he probably had nothing). Could the HotSync after the battery drain have wiped out my laptop info, leaving me with only 2 Palm addresses?
    But still the old info from August should be there somewhere.
    I am hoping to input info from either the laptop or the G3 so I can use it at work on Monday. Is this feasible?

Vickie, you used the Hotsync ID on the TE that agrees with your laptop for that last hotsync, correct? Not your DH's previous ID that's on the G3, also correct?[/QUOTE]

7. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Hi Vickie,

Sorry, I got dizzy trying to follow the location of this thread... it wasn't me who moved it, I assure you.

You didn't actually mention if you were able to find any User Data Backup files. These would not be in a folder called HotSync or anything like it - they would be in ~/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync name>/Backups/ (where HotSync Name is the name with which you HotSynced the data you're trying to find). If you don't know how to find that, you could literally just copy and paste that location into the Finder's Go box (command-shift-G), assuming you have put in the correct HotSync name.

These backup files would likely be your best hope, if you are certain that your main User Data file has lost your info.

8. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

When I did as you suggested below, I only found the 4/06 empty file. I had asked the question, could have I erased the file when I hotsynced after the battery died? Didn't see an answer. Is it a dumb question?
    But when I go to File/Find/....a window pops up. I type in "palm" to search in "everywhere" and that's when I see the other hot sync's from 2005. They are either in Aaron's name and empty, or in my name and say something about a SD card and how it can't be installed, so I can't open. I think I'll just give up on it because these are from April anyway. I can't find the August one right now. The only August file I see now says Palm Desktop Support.

Maybe my best bet is to try to get the info I can actually see out of the G3 into the TE. How about that? Is that possible? It didn't work when I tried it. If you guys can help me with that, I'll give up on the lap top, move over to the G3 and promise to hot sync every day for the rest of my life. The user in the G3 is Aaron T. How does that impact me? Does the TE know? Can I adjust something and where (TE or computer?)?

Did I say THANK YOU?!?
    Vickie

9. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

It is certainly possible that syncing an erased handheld could cause the desktop to erase as well. To avoid this, you'll want to configure all conduits (in the HotSync Manager program) to "Computer overwrites handheld" (except for conduits that don't have this option - leave them alone). This is not a dumb question, and I meant to answer it earlier, although I guess I didn't really cover that.

For whichever data file you've decided to use, just make a copy of it and replace the main "User Data" file in ~/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync name>/ with that file. Make sure you set the conduits to overwrite the handheld for the first sync. Before you do that first sync, I would just go ahead and do a hard reset on the TE, and then you will have the option of which HotSync Name to link the TE to, when you do the sync. (Pick the one you put your data in, of course.) Then you should be able to resume syncing normally.

If there is a risk of installing incompatible Palm software, there are some additional steps/concerns to worry about, but this mainly applies when you are moving from one handheld model to a different model, and when you have a full backup rather than things being largely wiped out. So you probably don't need to worry about that. If you see signs of incompatible software (this usually manifests itself as frequent crashing), you may have to do some extra troubleshooting.

If you can find the August file, it would be a good idea to make a note of where it is located. There are several ways to determine a file's location from within the Find window. One good way is to simply click once on the file and look at the shaded area at the bottom of the Find window, which will display the path when the file is selected. However, this view may be too abbreviated or limited if the file is several folders deep. In this case, another good way is to select the file in the Find window, hit command-R, and then hold down the command key while you click and hold on the title of the window that appears.

10. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

OK, I get the basic drift, but it is way over my head. I have decided to use the G3 file. I don't know what a conduit is or how to configure it. (Plus I wonder if that has to be switched back to handheld overwrites computer after the transaction to accomodate for changes). I think the second paragraph is suggesting I make a copy first before I do the task (great suggestion) but I'm not sure how to do that either. DH is no help here. Can you give me the actual steps I actually have to type in the computer or handheld? Thanks.
    Vickie

(It is certainly possible that syncing an erased handheld could cause the desktop to erase as well. To avoid this, you'll want to configure all conduits (in the HotSync Manager program) to "Computer overwrites handheld" (except for conduits that don't have this option - leave them alone). This is not a dumb question, and I meant to answer it earlier, although I guess I didn't really cover that.

For whichever data file you've decided to use, just make a copy of it and replace the main "User Data" file in ~/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync name>/ with that file. Make sure you set the conduits to overwrite the handheld for the first sync. Before you do that first sync, I would just go ahead and do a hard reset on the TE, and then you will have the option of which HotSync Name to link the TE to, when you do the sync. (Pick the one you put your data in, of course.) Then you should be able to resume syncing normally.)QUOTE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.