Mac User Needs TE Hotsync Help

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Vickie, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hello Vickie, you've already found it. Your email responses link you directly to this thread. No need to go digging for it. It's forum magic. :)

Sorry, I too am not a Mac user, so I can not offer any 'useful' information at this point. Someone should be along shortly help though.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

You may have to wait until morning for the bulk of Mac users to sign in. Don't give up hope. You'll be emailed as soon as someone posts. :)

3. Elox

Elox Mobile Enthusiast

Vickie, fist make sure your data is on the Mac. It should be in you documents folder: Documents->Palm->Users->(Palm User Name)->User data. Check the date on this file and if it is from the last time you did a hotsync (Aug?) then all of your data should be accessible from the Palm Desktop software and easy to fix.

If the User data file is correct, it should just be a matter of doing a hard reset and treating this as transferring data from an old to new palm. See:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...SupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(13495)

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Elox, your link is bad. Copy the link location, from the link on the page previous to the destination page. If you copy the address from your browser on the destination page, it errors out..

5. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Hello Vickie.

Elox is correct, and moreover, there may also be a Backups folder in that location. It sounds like you may have located a working backup file for Palm Desktop, even though your current User Data file may not be working.

If this is the case, you can simply make a copy of the working backup file, rename it to User Data, and replace the blank User Data file with it. The backup files that Palm Desktop creates are interchangeable with regular user data files.

Once you've gotten things stabilized on the desktop, make sure that the T|E is linked to the same user name you are using in Palm Desktop (hard reset the T|E if you need to change it), and then open HotSync Manager and set every conduit you can to "Computer overwrites handheld" (that is, some conduits may not have this option, but set it for any conduit that has it). Then, you can do a HotSync and your data should be restored.

Rather than "moralizing," let me just say that if you've let a handheld with volatile memory become erased by not charging it, and you have not backed that data up to any other source, then it's just gone. No level of technical skill can recover something that there are no remaining copies (or fragments of copies) of. I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles, but you can't get appointment reminders out of a turnip (or something like that...).

6. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. When I look in the documents folder the only thing there is the hot sync from yesterday that is empty. When I do "find" I see the transactions from August But when I open I can't find anything.
    So this a.m. I went to my other computer. Another Mac-G3. I had used that in 4/05 last for hot syncing but at least alot of my contacts for work are in there. I opened the palm icon and I can see my info. Yeah!! But when I push the hot sync star on my palm, it goes through the motions, but nothing came over. I don't understand. My head hurts. Lesson learned.

7. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

Me again, yeah, the link didn't work. Need to know how to do a hard reset and transfer the data that I found on the G3. That would get me started at work anyway.
    Even better if I could find the info on the laptop, but I'm not sure how to do that.

8. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

Okay, I think I figured out why it didn't hot sync from the G3. The user in the G3 is Aaron T (my husband). Could that be the reason? When I switched to the laptop in April I changed names to mine (Vickie). Do I have to change the user in the Palm itself? I don't know how to do that. So much to learn. Gotta go to work. Will check the forum from work or when I return. Thanks again for all your wisdom everyone.
    :)

9. donbes

donbes Mobile Deity

actually, i needed to install the program again when i created another user on my pc. all the info was there after the install

to do a hard reset just keep the power button pressed while reseting and follow he instructions on the screen

10. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Keep in mind that data loss from a drained battery isn't always the same as a hard reset. Sometimes, you don't lose everything--enough remains so that HotSync Manager assumes you've just deleted a bunch of stuff, so it archives your data instead of restoring it to your handheld. There is a possibility that involves the .bak and .dat files in your computer--I don't know the specifics, but I think it involves renaming the .bak file and giving the .dat file a .bak extension instead (probably different in a Mac, though).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.