Mac User Needs TE Hotsync Help

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Vickie, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

I went to turn on my Tungsten E (not bluetooth if it matters) today and it was suddenly void of all of my information (contacts, notes, memos, etc). It was also missing a couple of items that had been installed by Palm like the PowerOne calculator, though the standard calculator is there. It is like I just bought it and back to square zero.
    It is possible that the battery got very low or even died, though of course I have re-charged. It is impt to me to re-cover the info because I am embarrassed to say it has been a long time since I have hot sync'd and there is current info in there that I would like to have. I tried doing a soft reset to no success. I didn't do anything else yet, for fear of messing something up. Can anyone help? Is the info still there somewhere? I hope so!

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Vickie. :)

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no. If it is gone, it is gone - it is only the newer palms like the E2, the T5 and the TX that have memory storage independent of power. :(

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Did you have a program on your Palm that backed up the contents of your handheld to your SD card?

If not, and you've not sync'd in some time, everything since the last time you sync'd is gone. You can hotsync and restore everything you had as of the last hotsync, pending you have examined your handheld, and determined that your handheld does not have a Hotsync ID, and that no remaining user data is on there.

If by chance, you hotsynced when you first got your handheld, and never again, then everything is gone.

Not what you are looking for I'm sure. :(

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, Vickie. :)

I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you to us, but now that you're here we have much useful info available for the asking. You would be well advised, as mentioned in previous posts, to acquire a backup plan from today forward. I realize this sounds a bit like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped but this will not be the only time that you'll face this situation. Trust me that this statement is Truth. In the interest of helping you learn about backing up, have a look at this thread.

Again, accept my sympathy; these unfortunate things happen & all we can do is plan ahead - have insurance. :(

5. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

Very sad. I had a dream last night I should have backed up. Guess it was a premonition. I got lazy. I should have known better.

Did it happen because I let the battery get too low? Or was it just some freak thing? The data, well, I'll just have to rebuild over time. But ... I lost software that can't be recovered. That's a bummer.

You sure a hard reset wouldn't help? I don't know how to do that. But I thought maybe...

By the way, I don't know what an SD card is, so I'm guessing I don't have it. Thanks for all your answers. Looking forward to the reply to "why".

Vickie

6. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hello,

Hard Reset would definetely delete everything, and restore into factory status, so it wouldnt help.

JC

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Sorry to hear that you lost your data, Vickie.

I had the same thing happen with my T|E when a book in my pack pressed a hard button for several hours which drained the battery. Fortunately I had synced just before I left home that morning. When I got home I charged and synced my data back. Next I bought BackupMan, installed it and scheduled a daily 3AM automated backup.

An SD card is a type of flash data storage. They are about the size of a postage stamp and are available in different capacities and speeds. The largest capacity usable in a T|E is 1GB and high speeds are not necessary (good in cameras when taking lots of frames very rapidly). The most popular brands around here are SanDisk, Lexar, and Panasonic.

Welcome to Brighthand. :newpalm:

8. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

Are you still online? I tried to hot sync. I know for sure my data is in my laptop. The last time I hot sync'd was in August (I'm embarrassed). But nothing came over. It looked like it was working, but when I looked into the PDA, it was again empty. What's up with that?
    Confused again.

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

You can tell if someone is online (unless they're using Invisible Mode) by the green dot at the bottom of their user panel, next to the scales, triangle, etc. Offline shows a grey dot. :)

10. Vickie

Vickie Mobile Enthusiast

Mine has a grey dot. I'm online, but not trying to hide.
    Thanks for answering. I'm not having such a great day I guess.
    Did my info disappear because my battery went too low?
    And do you know why my data in my laptop isn't hotsync-ing into my PDA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.