Mac,Palm TX, No Supported Services?

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by csonni, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csonni

csonni Mobile Deity

I've been trying to connect to sync my Palm TX through bluetooth with my Mac (MacBook Intel). I entered my passkey and created a network, but at the bottom of the window I was told that there were "no supported services on the device (TX)". I do a HotSync but after a minute or so, I am told that there is another app using the port. There is nothing else. My bluetooth mouse is turned off. Any ideas from you Mac users?

2. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

Can you Send a file or app from the TX to the Mac? I can do that but I have had a similar experience as you but not with trying to HotSync but rather with trying to connect to the internet with the TX using the Macbook's external USB modem. I used to do this all the time with my PPC iBook.

In fact, I don't even HotSync at all anymore. I transfer files from Mac to TX and vice versa via Send using bluetooth. This may not be an acceptable solution for many folks.

Bluetooth may be a bit slow for HotSyncing so I never even tried doing that.

3. csonni

csonni Mobile Deity

I would imagine it's slow, but I'd sure like to know what "no supported services" mean. I do remember the TX syncing through bluetooth on my Powerbook on one occasion. Strange.

4. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Did you try going into the BT menu in Prefs (on the TX), selecting setup devices, then PC set up and seeing if your Mac was listed there? If not, I'd suggest exiting out and going through the "setup devices" process.

Edit: Wait, "no supported services"...this may be a stupid question but ...you do have the BT turned on on your Mac right?

5. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

do you have the latest palm software?
    did you turn on palm syncing in isync??
    you should see a palm icon in the isync window if all is set right.

i have NEVER used the usb cable with my tx; have synced it to address book & ical over bluetooth since day 1.

but it DID take some figuring out.
    and make sure you have your stuff backed up to an sd card or something while figuring this out!

6. csonni

csonni Mobile Deity

I have done all of the above. That's why I find it so strange that it won't work. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

in your Library folder (the main level of your hard drive), in application support>palm hotsync...
    check Conduits (i have Apple, Backup,, Install, memos, Note Pad, Photos.
    in "iSync Disabled Conduits" i see Addressm Calendar, Contacts, Datebook, Memo, Tasks, ToDO, Voice Memo)

also, try deleting the palm from isync, and start again.
    then repair permissions...!

8. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

or, um...
    open hotsync manager in the palm folder.
    under the hotsync menu, select conduit settings.
    click on isync conduit, then click on the coduit settings button.
    is "enable isync for this palm device" checked?

9. csonni

csonni Mobile Deity

Yes, it is. FisherKing, the only conduit I don't have in my "enabled" folder is Memos since I am using Chronos Soho Notes.

10. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

Just in case you haven't done it:

In the app Palm Desktop under the HotSync menubar item select Setup. In that window select Connection Settings and check the box for bluetooth HotSyncing and configure that port for Serial.

11. csonni

csonni Mobile Deity

Bingo! That was it. Thank you.

12. Ohappydaye

Ah man! I feel like an idiot! Good save Gregte! Reps for that one! :newpalm:

Glad it's all worked out now! :)

13. graylocks

graylocks Mobile Evangelist

well, cool beans! using info in this thread i just did my first BT hotsync to my mac.

seems a bit slow compared to the usb cable. is that normal?

14. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

bluetooth is absolutely...slower than a usb connection.
    but i've NEVER used the cable; i love just hitting sync and then checking email, or posting here, or getting a coffee.

one less cable is nice..

15. Ohappydaye

Yes, as fisherking said...BT hotsync is slower than the US Postal service. Ok, so he didn't say that, but that's what he meant. :p I have done it but prefer not to. I typically only use BT to send files, that's pretty zippy. :newpalm:

16. Constance

Constance Mobile Deity

I use Missing Sync. I am getting the same error messages.

I did try to open up Palm desktop and "In the app Palm Desktop under the HotSync menubar item select Setup. In that window select Connection Settings and check the box for bluetooth HotSyncing and configure that port for Serial." but I get "error 9"
    any thoughts? I am dying to BT!!!

17. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

Do you also have the Bluetooth box checked in Missing Sync's Preferences?

18. r0k

r0k Dazed

I had no problem syncing my Treo 650 via bluetooth. It's nice to be rid of the cable, but after a fresh hard reset, I plan to use the cable. The first sync took close to 2 hours. I would expect future sync to finish in a few minutes but bluetooth is a lot slower than the cable if you have to move a lot of data.

I'm thinking about ditching Palm Desktop in favor of ical, etc on the mac. Right now I'm just thinking...

19. RT11guru

RT11guru old but newbie

Constance, I don't think MissingSync and the Palm Desktop can be installed at the same time. In fact, I think the MissingSync installer checks for Palm conduits and moves them into the "disabled" folder.
    As for BT; it has always been problematic with my TX (syncing to a Mac) using MissingSync. It was always losing the connection in the middle of a sync, even on what should have been a routine, relatively short sync process. I gave up and bought a cable. Still have problems but at least the sync session completes.

20. Constance

Constance Mobile Deity

Ok, thanks for the help. I don't mind the cable.
    and I love iCal instead of PD!