m100 digitizer corruption

Discussion in 'Palm' started by machambers, Jun 22, 2012.

1. machambers

machambers Mobile Enthusiast

Hi,

Has anyone run into this issue before? I thought I'd seen everything, but it's a new one on me.

Palm m100 with reasonably fresh batteries. Somehow I managed to zap it and it got stuck in the reset loop. Pulled the batteries then re-installed them; unit does a clean reset. Run through the digitizer setup then date and time; all is good.

Connect to PC and HotSync to restore data. Now the digitizer is off so far that I can't get to the home page via its icon. Everything seems to be shifted about a quarter of an inch to the left.

I've repeated the process several times (yes, I know what they say...) just to make sure I haven't completely lost it, but the result is the same. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Try deleting the "Saved Preferences" file from the hotysnc backup folder. Better yet, do not delete it, but move it out of this folder, drop it elsewher on your PC (in case this is not the cause). Then remove the batteries again, calibrate, and hotsync. By omitting the saved prefs from the hotsync, the Palm creates a new one, and this may clear the problem.

Be aware that if you do not hotsync the saved prefs file, all your custom settings, serial numbers, etc. will not be synced over, meaning you will have to manually reconfigure apps and re-enter serial numbers.

3. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I would look for something impinging on the digitizer, like a speck of crud. Look under the bezel that surrounds the screen if there is one. Carefully use a small corner on stiff paper to sweep under the bezel, but only just enough to reach.

It could also just be the digitizer's time, in which case there is Palm Dr.

EDIT: Oh, I like Raspy's suggestion. I always forget that one, but the problem after sync points to it.

4. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

And make sure the System conduit is set to Handheld overwrites Desktop.

5. machambers

machambers Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It appears to be a hardware problem as a new m100 syncs and works properly with the same HotSync configuration.