Lumia 928 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Nokia' started by questionfear, May 29, 2013.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

75% on standby? Wow.

Before you turn data off, can you shut down automatic email checking and other data draws, or are you losing battery even without push email etc?

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

To be honest, I haven't checked into those settings in detail; and there would have been some intentional data use, so it's not really totally standby. I have a few email accounts setup on the phone, but no other social media, and no widgets. I'll look at those email settings tonight and see how things go. Thanks for the suggestions qf!

3. RickAgresta

Super difference : at 75% *now*, last time on charger was 7:40 this morning. 3G enabled the whole time, to get here just tweaked the email settings. qf, you rock!

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Love the GearDiary review! I agree, in my experience, WP is a mix of the best of iOS and Android. And the Lumia 92x hardware is to die for. I wish I could get one on my carrier...

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yay! Sometimes it's just a matter of looking for the obvious battery hog, and email is an easy one. Glad it worked!

Glad you liked the review. I'm planning on doing a full review of Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia with far more detail soon...just need to dig out from my existing pile of review items first. :)

If you really need to settle your WinPhone lust, there's always the Nokia 520. Isn't it something like $150 at full-price? I know it's weak compared to the 92x line, but you could buy one and treat it like an iPod Touch.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Good article, QF. Since I'm currently in the Android world phone-wise and have just bought a new Windows 8 laptop, I have some questions. First, I note you came from an Iphone but are the good things about WP worth the trouble of switching from Android? And is the WP experience similar or quite different from the desktop W8 experience? I ask that second in particular because as a W8 noob, my impressions of Metro are mixed so far. I keeping thinking things like "Where the crap is _______?" and "Why did they do this that way?"

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    scjjtt likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

It depends. In my opinion, Windows Phone 8 has a lot of nice features, but it's been a while since I used Android with any regularity. Here's an example of how WinPhone8 is nice: If I'm on bluetooth in my car, and I receive a text message, the phone's TellMe service (voice command) automatically asks me if i want my text message read to me or ignored. Once it reads the text I can also choose to dictate a reply. It's not that different from what Siri can do-the difference is that my phone can be in my pocket and i didn't have to touch a thing to trigger the interaction. You can turn that off in settings, but I love that my phone does that, since it's far safer than fumbling to hit a button to view the screen and make sure there's nothing important there. I also find the live tiles to be quite nice, and very fast and responsive.

I feel like it is far easier to grab my phone, check in on what's demanding my attention, and move on. And I think the Metro interface works far better on a phone than on a computer. It feels very natural on the phone. Settings are not nearly as obscure as they are in Windows 8 either, everything is much, much clearer. Most of it is very "What you see is what you get", not many settings and features get buried, and even when they are it's quite easy to pull them up.

I think Android vs Windows Phone comes down to a few things: How badly you need full Google integration, how much you like the desktop-esque design of Android vs the metro tiles of Windows Phone, and whether you deeply value the extremely open Android platform versus the more controlled Windows Phone platform. WinPhone is much more tightly walled, and while you have more settings control than you do in iOS, you can't install outside the Windows Marketplace like you can with Android.

Also, the camera on the Lumia is amazing. I am not a great photographer, and it's a marked difference between pictures I've taken with the Lumia versus the iPhone.

Hook, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  9. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

That sounds goo since iPhones are reputed to have good cameras.

I'm also interested in this upcoming Nokia that supposedly has 41 mp and a mechanical shutter. I like good cameras enough to brave a less-than-satisfactory OS to get it.

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I wonder why TellMe hasn't gotten more attention. It sounds very smooth and evolved to work that well.