Loving my TT

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by jacobb, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacobb

jacobb Newbie

Ok - I bought this when it came out last month. I just have to say this out loud: I love this little machine. I am so pleased with it. This is my 5th palm. I'm a user from way back. I wandered into the world of the ipac briefly, but it wasn't for me. The pocket pc interface was not what I wanted, but I always hoped that Palm would bridge the gap - the easy interface with the nice screen and multi-media potential. I think they've done it with the Tungsten. I'm not a hardcore tech guy, so this unit does the trick for me.

I live with these programs and find them very useful, so check them out, if you haven't already:

agendus, zlauncher, palmreader pro, and Aeroplayer. Once Avantgo is cleaned up I'm laughing.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  2. JediLow

JediLow Contributing Member

Its nice to hear others that love their Tungstens... I love mine =)

(and as we speak I'm doing the battery bench...)
  3. StevenBRLA

StevenBRLA Mobile Enthusiast

excuse me....

What is a Launcher? I've been using my m505 without a launcher or a hack manager... how did I make it?

Steve
  4. Ben S

Ben S Mobile Deity

A launcher is an application that performs basically the same function as tapping the "home" button in the Graffiti area (the program that executes when you do that is called "Launcher"). There are quite a few different launchers on the market that have different features and capabilities. Many offer the ability to categorize apps in on-screen tabs by drag-and-drop. Others allow you to have backdrop pictures, and still others allow you to access your files in a Windows-explorer like way.

Hacks, or what I prefer to think of as system extensions ("hack" is such a maligned word these days), are little applications that integrate themselves into the APIs of your PDA to make it perform in different ways when certain actions are taken. For example, one of my favorite hacks allows you to create capital letters in Graffiti simply by crossing over the letter-number boundary when you draw the glyph (it's called "MiddleCapsHack"). Another ("McPhling") allows you to access a list of recently-used apps by making a stroke from the menu icon to the launcher icon in the graffiti area. Another ("NoClick") turns off the UI feedback sound that occurs when you tap on the screen, but leaves the other UI sounds (like the HotSync chime) alone.
  5. Hugo

Hugo Mobile Evangelist

Totally agree with JediLow, not everything is about problems, sometimes we really need to hear that we like our investment.;)
  6. StevenBRLA

StevenBRLA Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks Ben S.

I went to purchase my TT yesterday, only to find that "last week's sale" of 469.99 at Office Depot had expired Saturday. My Bad.

So, I knew I'd just play with it all week anyway, when I should be doing Christmas/family stuff... so I'm waiting till next weekend for hopefully a sale by Best Buy, CompUSA, OfficeDepot or CircuitCity....c'mom baby... can I hear 449.99?

Also figured I could use the week to convince myself that the TT is the right replacement for my injured m505.

Thanks again for your explanation on the launcher... I'll have to get me one...

Steve
  7. rurouni

rurouni Newbie

Does your TT have a polyphonic speaker built in like the T665? Curious to know also if you can customise the alarm sounds for the TT?

Thanks! :)
  8. cdholzman

cdholzman Mobile Enthusiast

Add my kudos to Palm for the Tungsten T. I've had mine almost a week now, my 5th Palm. I love it. The resolution is awesome and this thing flies. It was kind of like wkhen I traded my low end Pentium computer to a Pentium 4. I get whiplash.

Love it, love it, love it!!!!!
  9. sabilrd

sabilrd Poor Tungsten T owner

10. ex.inferis

ex.inferis Newbie

After I read all those ppl complaining about problems, I wondered. Why has no one (er... almost) said that they are happy with their T|T? Cause... Happy people don't complain! So I did a couple of interviews with T|T owners. 100% of them said that they had no dust problems! (my biggest worry)

So... Went ahead, asked dad for one as X'mas present (though i'm paying S$480 (divide by 1.8 for dat in US$) :D

Happy with it!

Message to those who worry bout' buying something cause of all the problems... Happy people don't complain! :D Do your own research!

(But could I hear some response regarding the digitizer problem? http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9771) It's really minor, but I'll would like to know who's affected...
  11. James M

James M Newbie

The digitizer problem seems to have affected a lot of people. I'm one of them. The easiest way to see if you have the problem is go to the date book view which has Sunday-Saturday icons in the upper right hand corner and starting tapping the different days of the week.

The problem has nothing to do with sensitivity. You can push hard, slide the pen around on one of the 7 days of the week icons and nothing will happen. If you wait a few seconds, then it will start responding again like it should. You can tap on the different days and everything will work fine for a few seconds and then it will stop responding. I thought I could live with it, but it's very frustrating waiting on the digitizer to start responding again. Also, the problem is along the whole top portion of the screen and not just the upper right side. So it affects the left hand side where you tap for menus. Basically, about the top 1/4" of the digitizer will stop working and then will start working again if you wait a few seconds. At first I thought maybe it had some sort of short circuit or a problem with the ribbon cable. I tried banging on the T|T on different sides, but the problem remained. I wasn't about to take it apart just to see if there was a problem with the ribbon connector which I'm assuming that it has. Anyway, I returned it and the second T|T worked OK. However, this one has 1 bad pixel. It's not too bad, but if I turn the T|T a certain direction, I see a bright white dot. With the T|T off, it almost looks like it's missing a pixel.

The latest problem I've been reading about is that some displays have a bluer background than others. Mine is definitely blue, but how much depends on where I have the light intensity set at. That's the next thing I want to check is to see if some displays have a whiter background than others. If there is a difference, I sure hope I have one of the better ones since it's too late for me to return this one to the store.
  12. wynix

wynix Mobile Enthusiast

Just wanted to add, I got rid of my ipaq 5455 and got the Tungsten. It may seem like a jump down, but it REALLY isn't. After hard-resetting 5 times and hearing the customer service rep say "Everytime your wifi doesn't work, simply hard reset the device. Remember to back up often"... And reading in the forums that you CAN'T actually leave the battery IN the device...I said screw it, I'm getting a Tungsten. (Just for the record, all the issues with the 5455 happened within 3 days).

Anywayz, now I'm here, and a happy camper. I know I was probably one of the unlucky ones with the ipaq, and some people claim they are ok. But who needs "luck" to get a good device.. Right? Oh and I love the ULTRA_SLIM keyboard for the Tungsten. Very cool.. no buffering problems (holding a key like delete, only happens 50 times.. the ultra thin doesn't seem to do that).
  13. wynix

wynix Mobile Enthusiast

OH! And it seems I don't have any of the issues listed above.
  14. Pathdoc

Pathdoc Mobile Deity

I also love my TT.:D I find it to be a wonderful, speedy device. The size is perfect, it fits in my pocket nicely. Moving from a grayscale PDA, the color is fantastic. Finally, with Newpen and Okey, I never have to open the slider.

With regard to the problems mentioned by James M, my digitizer works fine, the pixels are all okay, and the "blueness" of the background is fine. The blueness does depend upon the backlight setting and the screen viewing angle. At a 1/3 backlight setting, my background appears white. Less than this, it has a blue/gray tint to it.
  15. gbobman

gbobman Palm Abuser

Well, I HATE mine.

It looks so cool, and is so functional, I'm always using it for something. I almost never get any work done!!

And I also hate how good it feels in the hand (anything lighter would be uncomfortable). Or how it always seems to have a solution for some problem I may encounter,

Those maniacal bastards at Palm are trying to hook me on this 4th Palm!!!

:rolleyes:
  16. JediLow

JediLow Contributing Member

lol!
  17. James M

James M Newbie

I'm on my 4th Palm also. Even though I've had to take the first one back and the one I'm using now has 1 bad pixel, I still love it. It's the best Palm yet. I turned on my last mono Palm the other day and I couldn't believe how lousy it now looks compared to my T|T. However, the one I have sure doesn't sound like it looks the same as Pathdoc's T|T.

"At a 1/3 backlight setting, my background appears white. Less than this, it has a blue/gray tint to it."

I still have a blue/gray tint even at 100% backlight setting. At 1/3 setting, it's too dark and very blue. I have to be at least 50% for it to start looking halfway acceptable. Most of the time I have it set at about 75%. I guess I need to take a look at some other T|T and compare.
  18. Pathdoc

Pathdoc Mobile Deity

James M, sorry to hear that. I am surprised by the variability in the appearance of the products. It would be a real pain to have to keep the backlight at 100% and still have a blue tint, not to mention also going through your battery fairly quickly.
  19. piyush

piyush Mobile Enthusiast

I had the same problem and began getting used to the dial to move around because I couldn't face sending back the Palm after only a few days. however, the problem seems to have gone away by itself. I hope it stays away!
  20. James M

James M Newbie

I've read a few other messages about the problem going away which makes you wonder if the problem is caused because of the way the palm is assembled. The T|T that I returned with the problem was different than the one I now have. The bad one had no play between the plastic and the glass that is below it. Your couldn't even tell there was plastic on it since it was so tight against the glass. The one I have now does have a little bit of movement in the plastic when I tap. So maybe the problem goes away when things loosen up from usage.