Lost: System Sound Icon...

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Ashton, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I have a long blue bar between my start (windows logo) and my time... nothing else... I can live without my network icon; I jsut use the hardware button to turn off WiFi/BT, or I use the applet in the corner of the today screen.

However, I have found no applet to control the volume of the device... this is *really* annoying in a public place when I pull it out to check weather or such and an error message makes everyone turn ro look where the noise came from...

Any suggestions? if I need to post a Screenshot I can.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

A couple of questions:
    1. A soft reset does not restore it?
    2. Is it really still there, just not visible? Have you tapped upon where it should be?
    Have you gone into Sounds and Notifications and changed something, anything, and then changed it back to force a refresh? Another possibility is to hard reset, then restore from a backup.

3. Ashton

ok, I missed a few details...

It dissapeared when I flashed to WM6.1 and went into TrueVGA mode. In TrueVGA, soft resets do nothing, when I tap where it shoudl be I eitehr hit networking or I hit the clock (which periodically vanishes as well)

Hard reset does nothing.

As I said then, it's there in QVGA mode, but not TrueVGA mode. I'm using OzVGA to change modes, is there a setting in tehre that might help?

4. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

Sounds to me like you loaded a broken ROM image, with errors introduced by the hacker to compiled it. I'd recommend you consider finding a better version, or reverting to your previous ROM.

5. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Agreed ... your unofficial WM6.1 ROM might have lousy audio support or your TrueVGA applet might have a bug, or both might be flawless except when used together.

Probably the only reasonable fix is to not use the WM6.1 ROM or TrueVGA. Or better yet, go to Makuu/Lenny's site (I don't know which you're using) and describe your problem on the forum ... since both groups are big on tweaks and VGA I think it's an "interesting" enough problem that a fix will become available fairly quickly; it might even be implemented in future WM6.1+ ROMs. You could alternatively contact TrueVGA's author, but I seriously doubt they'd be very interested in your particular glitch - it's a problem with a specific device running a specific (and unofficial) ROM - it may even be specific to your particular device and not be an issue on anybody else's.

I have an X51v and can plug in Makuu's WM6.1 beta (or another ROM, though I'd need a day or three to download and burn it), and I can run TrueVGA on it to see what happens. Can you describe the exact versions of the ROM and VGA applet? (I don't think you should post urls to these here.)

6. Ashton

I *think* it's the lenny version, it's the only one with a downlaod link I coudl find on XDA devlopers.

Also I'm using OzVGA (which doesnt exist anymore, though if you want the files I'll upload them to my server and send you a link)

And since I'ved used the same version of OzVGA on WM5/5.5/6.0 I think it's either a rom issue, or, as suggested an issue of the two not workign together (since in QVGA mode the icons are all working fine)

Excluding the issue with the "no mute button" I've solved the volume problem by getting headphones with a built-in volume control. I'm planning to look for an applet that sits on the today screen that mutes/unmutes volume (should be on for SPs, since they dont have an easy-to-access mute control.

7. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

Scott Seligman long ago wrote a tiny sound control applet and released it as freeware. It's still on his site, but unfortunately has only ever been compiled for MIPS processors such as those in the older Casio line. I recall having tried someone else's freeware which had fancier graphics, a sort of pop-up window with volume/mute controls, but that was over 5 years ago and memory of where that was to be found is long gone. A few google searches turned up nothing for me, you may have better luck.

This may be irrelevant, but I have found that some options in WisBar Advance2 (3 was too unstable for me) cause system problems. Mostly the problems had to do with allowing Settings to appear in any way in the WisBar version of the Start Menu. I found that icons for some Settings applets vanished, and what few remained were assigned the wrong icons. Un-checking whatever options related to displaying Settings in the cascading menu fixed this problem. If you don't run WisBar this is probably not helpful at all, and even if you do, I've never seen it mess up top bar icons like that.

8. Ashton

heh, mine arent "messed up" they're missing. literally I have a clean blue bar up there (and on the today screen I dont even have a clock!)

I may have to try a program like wisbar, if it will fix my icon issues, I've always used magic button seince it's rather minimalist and the device has so little ram.

9. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

You might resurrect your "missing" audio control icon with an audio player or Today plug that offers an audio tweak or somesuch ... WisBar may or may not do this; Spb PPC Tips & Tricks or Pocket Plus will (I think); TodayPlayer will probably work - it dismisses the WM-native audio icon and uses it's own.

10. Ashton

unless I stumble on a mirror somewhere, today player is gone, 404s on all links to the site (have not tried the Internet Archive yet, but that's only place... and they rarely keep downloads...)

EDIT:
    acctually they *did* have the downloads 0_0 but unfortunately, it's incompatable with WM6.1... The author's site mentioned a program called Mort Player, saying it had a today plugin, would this work, perhaps? *is not familair with Mortplayer*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.