Lost & Found Palm TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by imscribbler, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imscribbler

imscribbler Newbie

Hello! I’m so glad I ‘found’ this site; hopefully, it’ll help me with my ?’s / confusion.

I’m always writing down notes, to-do list, addresses, budgets, etc, on my trusted notebook/ calendar filled with post-it notes, so for Christmas last year I got my first ever PDA… Palm TX. Sooo excited about it! Though not so sure what to do with it at first, then I started reading the guide and omigosh! the possibilities of what I can do are seemed endless. When I got it, I didn’t install the software on our desktop PC because we were in the process of replacing it. Two weeks later, my bag was stolen while volunteering at a charity event, in it was my Palm, my digital cam & everything else; I was devastated…but what can I do, it’s gone so filed a police report and back to my trusted notebook.

Guess what turned up 8 months later, yup! My bag! with my Palm in it, gone are the camera, wallet, cash, cards but the Palm is there. I couldn’t believe it, so happy again. Then I remembered, I threw away everything that came with it, I mean EVERYTHING, the whole box. So now what do I do with it???

HELP please! I’ve never used a PDA before so I’m a total newbie to the world of PDA’s. I managed to borrow an AC charger & charged it overnight. It seemed ok and all the data I’ve entered are still there.

I’d like to use it to its full capacity, where do I start? Suggestions, ideas, comments are welcome.

Thanks so much!

2. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

First, welcome to Brighthand!
    Second, your post suggests me that thiefts are interested in cash, card, cameras, but not Palms...that sad!
    Anyway, glad you got a least your Palm back.

Now, what to do?
    I'd like to suggest you first to download, from Palm web site, the user manual, as well as Palm Desktop, to install it in your desktop computer, and be able to syncronize it. You can do in either ways, wirelessly or with a sync cable (if you threw it away, you can buy one from Boxwave..com, for instance).
    About what to do with it...well, strart from the beginning. Read teh manual, read the threads in Brighthands posts. See which softwares, starting from freewares, better suit your needs. See if those are compatible with Tx (some won't be, and will cause instabilities).
    Enjoy your unit, now that you got it back, and don't be afraid from ask here in the forum!

Luigi

3. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

That's great...glad you got it back...and welcome to BH!

4. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

What a wonderful piece of news, Imscribbler - welcome to Brighthand. Two tips to get the most out of your TX here - search and ask. In that order. :)

5. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Hi! Glad to hear your bag was stolen by either a disorganized thief or an organized thief who dislikes Palm OS!

Please check out the threads in my signature about what many people use their TXs for. I honestly don't know what I'd do without mine.

Also, first thing up is to get an SD card & a backup program. NVBackup is free. (I haven't used it - I use Backup Buddy & Resco Backup - all three are good, tho.)

6. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Welcome to Brighthand, imscribbler, and congratulations. I think luigi did a fine job of giving you your next steps.:newpalm:

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Welcome to Brighthand, imscribbler! :)

I thought the Palm Desktop version for the TX was not available for download. Anyway, I thought there were some things on the CD that weren't available for download.

Which version should be downloaded? I think Ver 4.1.4 came with the TX. I see there's also a Ver 4.1.4E that adds compatibility for Vista. What about ver 4.2 that came with the 755p? Is there added/different functionality (that I haven't noticed)?

imscribbler, there are some links in my signature that might be of interest. :)

8. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

IIRC, that ranks right up there with "do you come here often?" or "do you want to see my etchings?"

:D

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, imscribbler. :)

The version for TX is Palm Desktop 4.2. It isn't available for download. This thread will be helpful to you, since there are Extras included on the Installation CD that I'm certain you'd be interested in having.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I provided a link to download ver. 4.2 in my post above. I'm not clear on how it's different from what's on the original CD. I would guess it's just the extras.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.