Looking for mini smartphone

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by ClarkTorry, May 24, 2019.

1. ClarkTorry

ClarkTorry Newbie

Hello

I try to decide which smart phone will be better to order
    What i need is smartphone with android system that will be pretty small and slim and can fit easy to the pocket
    such as the samsung salaxy mini s3/4 or n7100

also if possible that the camera will be not bad also. it does not have to be necessarily samsung it can be nexus or some other phone

only that will have size like the mini galaxy and long battery life & pretty good camera
    budget 200-400$

thanks for help!

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, ClarkTorry!

I'm not sure I can recommend a small phone (S3 Mini size) with good enough performance and camera. Most small phones I've seen have sub-par processors and very bad cameras, so user experience is not good. Perhaps you can look for larger devices? The Moto G6 is well within the budget you mention, it's a beautiful device, has very good performance for typical usage, and camera -although nowhere near a great camera such as in some flagship models- is good for everyday use.

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

For that matter, the Moto G7 is currently on sale for $269. It's a bigger phone with a bigger screen than you seem to want, but it is the newer 19:9 screen ratio so it's a taller, skinnier phone than the fat phablets of yesteryear. The advertised screen size of 6.2" is a bit misleading for the overall size of the phone because the screen is basically edge to edge and top to bottom with a little selfie camera notch at the top. They even moved the fingerprint scanner to the back of the phone. It reportedly has a better camera than the G6 (which isn't saying much) and comes with Android Pie, but still has the rapidly disappearing features of a headphone jack and a microSD card slot. I have the Moto G5S Plus, which also had a rather mediocre camera, but the problem turned out to be all in the Moto Camera 2 app, because after installing a port of the official Google Camera (even an older 32-bit version), I am now taking great pics.

There are phones that are slightly smaller (Samsung S10e, Google Pixel 3, etc.) at 5.4"-ish screens, but they're quite a bit more than $269 (especially the Samsung, but the Pixel is also like $200 more and doesn't offer a headphone jack or expandable storage).

To the best of my knowledge, the last truly small and rather capable smartphone was the Apple iPhone SE, which was basically a mini iPhone 6. When Apple released the iPhone X series they officially retired the iPhone SE, but that was still a rather impressive market life.