Looking for advice for getting phones and plan for the kids

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, May 6, 2017.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I just ordered the Moto E4 from B&H photo for $104, no tax, Republic Wireless SIM included ($9 value), and 6 months free Republic Wireless service. I think my daughter will be happy!

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  2. jigwashere

By the way, Republic Wireless just announced a new plan: $15/month unlimited talk and text and$5 for each gig of data.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. jigwashere

I struggled between the Moto G4 and the Moto E4 for my daughter. Either would have gotten me the free 6 months w/RepublicWireless, and they were both $104. I landed on the E4 simply because it's a bit smaller, has a replaceable battery, and it was released w/Nougat (2017). The G4, while it has a better camera, processor, etc., just didn't seem like the right one for us. In the end, it probably doesn't matter too much.

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm thinking very seriously on getting a sim and testing this out, which is a big deal considering I've been with AT&T since before I had smartphones. I did do a brief try-out of T-Mobile when I had my Nexus 4, I think, but their network wasn't good enough at that time.

This is cheap enough, I don't mind paying for the experiment. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the tip.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Well, unfortunately, this didn't work out. When I called people on this sim, they hear echo when they speak at their end. Turns out that this is a known problem in their forums without any real resolution other than the fact that it goes away if you turn off WiFi. It seems to happen with Nexus models, so RepWire blames Google. However, it is being reported for other phones including Moto and Samsung. My guess is (and it's just conjecture) that RepWire uses a Project Fi type scheme to augment cell signals with wifi. I noticed that when I had wifi on, the LTE icon disappeared but when Wifi was off the LTE icon immediately appeared. I believe thatin Fredericksburg, VA, Sprint coverage (which is the network RepWire is using) is very spotty. I think the echo is created by latency problems introduced when it hands off to wifi.

Whatever the explanation, that was pretty much a deal breaker. They have promised they will give me pro-rated refund in the next few days. I do like that, although you never talk with a human being, their web setu and account management is very good and responsive.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for me because it is a great deal.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

RickAgresta, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  7. jigwashere

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Egad. :vbmad:

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Hmmm...seems to me the only thing that can be done is for Amazon to remove that entire lockscreen add thing... ;)