Looking for advice for getting phones and plan for the kids

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by jigwashere, May 6, 2017.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

With charts!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

r0k, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

when I was 14, the first moon landing was 9 months away, so the only computers were not personal...

r0k, scjjtt, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

jig, as you know I don't HATE At&t. So if I were you, I go with Tmobile One. However I am not sure if you area has good Tmobile service. If your area has good service, here is what I do.

5 lines for $180 flat
    Since it's GSM carrier, you can get any phone you want. iPhone 4G (Hey, you didn't say the latest iPhone :p) for your kids, basic flip phone for your mother in law, etc. Just pop in the SIM card in, then you are ready to go.

r0k, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

At this point, phone subsidies are going away along with most phone locking. If I were trying to do multiple phones on multiple lines, I'd stick to unlocked phones capable of being used on any network and pop in sim cards. Sim cards are free and you can pop them in and try out each carrier until you find one you're happy with.

It turns out when I brought my iPhone from At&t to Verizon, they activated it on Verizon using a SIM card even though their network is not GSM. I should add that not all iPhones are created equal. Recent iPhones purchased unlocked or for Verizon will work on "all" networks but recent iPhones purchased on Att or Tmo will only work on GSM.

My son lost the (formerly At&t unlocked and used on Verizon) iPhone 6 I gave him when I upgraded to iPhone 7. He just plain lost it. So now he's using an even older (formerly At&t) iPhone 5 I gave him some time before I gave him the iPhone 6. Did I mention he's in his mid 20's and he's still losing important stuff from time to time?

He's on Tmobile on a shared plan with my daughter. I tried to talk them into switching to a better carrier but I'm not willing to subsidize them so all they think about is price. Every time I talk to them it's hard to get through a conversation from beginning to end without it dropping on their end.

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

r0k, interesting info re Verizon iPhones. Didn't know that; but it's useful info.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've decided not to make any changes to the existing phone plans my wife, mother-in-law and I are on. My thinking for the near term is to keep everything the way it is, buy a smartphone for my son, and set him up with his own (no contract) plan. His current TracFone will go to my daughter, too.

That leaves me with only two decisions to make right now: which smartphone; and, which plan?

I'm strongly considering the Moto G5 Plus, largely based on this article from Wirecutter. My son was looking at the Huawai Honor 6X, but I think the Moto G5 Plus might be better, it's a bit cheaper, and I think he'll be happy with it. The price, while more than I thought I would consider for his first smartphone, really isn't too bad. If he loses or breaks it, then he might need to get a BLU R1 HD. He's handled his (replacement) Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 quite well, so I'm optimistic the Moto G5 Plus will survive at least a few months. :rolleyes:

Once I decide on a phone, I'll focus on plans. If I hurry, Republic Wireless looks interesting: Republic Wireless BYOD (Android): 6mo. Unlimited Talk & Text + 2GB Free (New Customers, SIM Required)

EDIT: Looks like the Republic Wireless deal expired 5/22. :(

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    RickAgresta likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!