Looking for a Pro Grade Android Tablet

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I have been given permission by my wife to seek a more powerful tablet as a Christmas present. After being disappointed by the Nexus 9 (I think it's out of the running but we'll see-- the ease of modding a Nexus is a powerful lure), I have been thinking about what I really want out of a tablet and why I would want one instead of a laptop. Part of that is because I have a desktop computer. I want something that is truly portable but can actually do work as well as entertainment and I think tablets might be there. I would like to explore doing this with Android rather than Windows because I think, hardware and software wise, this is possible and preferable. I don't want to do chrome OS and I'm not looking so much for a 2-in-one as BT keyboards are just fine.

So I'm starting my search with the following few preferences:
    • Android (preferably with some reasonable chance of getting Lollipop.
    • 10"+ screen, best resolution possible
    • Fast CPU (I don't have a good definition for this)
    • 2GB minimum System memory, 3GB a plus
    • External memory card
    • Reasonable battery performance (given my other preferences)
    • Good support
    • <$500 :vbwink:

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is on my list to consider, but I'm looking for what else is out there. I'll be doing my own research, of course, but I'd be curious for any suggestions.

One that I'm curious about is this 13.3" Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro which is on sale this week.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-tablet-series/yoga-tablet-2-pro/#tab-customize

Anyone seen much on this. I could also consider the 10" model, but I might only put up with the yoga joint for the bigger screen. :vbrolleyes:

All input welcome.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hurray for Hook's wife! :newpalm:

I got an alert the other day for a sale on the 10" model. I really enjoyed the promotional videos showing how you can hang it from a hook (lower-case 'h' ;)), etc.

I wish I could offer some advice or a recommendation, but I haven't even shopped around for a tablet other than for my wife's iPad (the cellular version just arrived by UPS today). I really look forward to seeing what you get.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

There really aren't a lot of high end Android tablets out there to choose from. It sometimes feels like Android isn't working that hard at tablets. What is most frustrating is the memory model that folks have complained about elsewhere here. Most android tablets have 16 or 32GB. I found a Samsung Note Pro 12.2 with 64 GB, but it costs as much as an Ipad Air 2 with 128GB. Still, I'm having fun shopping.

What is on the list so far. Some are here because they are temporarily on sale enough to grop them close to my price range. All have sd card slots.

Samsung Galaxy TAB S 10.5 -- A great tablet at a great price, except it only is available with 16GB. It does have multiwidow, but no s-pen. The AMOLED screen though is a big draw.

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2-- a beast that is right now priced just $50 more than the TAB S with 32 GB and s pen. Jump to 64 GB raises the price almost $200, but I assume that is because this one is on sale.

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro - 13.3" inch screen, 32 GB (really?), card slot, and a possibly useful gimmick of a built in projector, although screen size is the draw.

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 10" - Only 16 GB (is this 2011?) but a low enough price point for the slightly smaller screen that I could afford a 128GB microSD. :vbwink:

Still lots of research. I wish I didn't mistrust ASUS on QA and mistrust SONY on updates, but I will look closer at SONY, although it looks like they have phased out larger models anyway.

With Samsung, I'm not looking forward to dealing with Knox and warranty issues. With Lenovo, I just kave no idea what their update history is and whether becoming Lenovorola has changed that. All on this lis are on Kit Kat.

Tonight I'm going to scour XDA and such to see what dev support might be out there. I suspect Samsung will fare better than Lenovo, but I don't know.

The Nexus 9 is still lurking on the periphery... :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt likes this.
  4. Hook

A tip o the hat to the admins who broke out this thread for me... :newpalm:

Be back with more discussion later.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I think you pretty much have to get the yoga 2 pro so we can add Honey, can you please stop typing on the wall and come to bed? to out of context quotes.

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

16GB Samsung Galaxy Tab S: 10.5" (2560x1600), Octa-Core CPU & More $355 + Free Shipping

note: price drop is only seen at final checkout page

Dazzling White LINK[buydig.com]

Titanium Bronze LINK[buydig.com]

• Super AMOLED Display WQXGA (2560 x 1600) Native Resolution
    • 3GB of RAM & 16GB of Onboard Storage + Add up to 128 GB memory with microSD slot
    • Powerful Samsung Exynos 5 - octa-core chipset: (1.9 GHz and 1.3 GHz quad-core processors)
    • Dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi with MIMO technology and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity
    • 0.26" Thin and 1.02 lbs. Light
    • Unique innovations like Fingerprint Scanner
    • Get up to 9 hours of battery life, and even more with Ultra Power Saving Mode
    • Android 4.4, KitKat
    • Use two apps at the same time with Multi Window
    • Rear and front cameras for photos and video chat
    • Lightweight, ultra-thin design for portability
    • Battery Capacity: 7900mAh
    • GPS with GLONASS
    • Built-in Infrared Blaster
    • Built-in Stereo Speakers
    • Android 4.4 (Kitkat)

scjjtt, Hook, Mi An and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Since the Xperia Tablet Z only comes in "compact" form this generation, I'm going to add another vote for the Galaxy Tab S. Great screen and everything else you want. And higher-end Samsung products typically get a couple of Android updates.

8. Hook

Damn. That's tempting. But it means I have to make up my mind in the next 17 hours. :vbeek: :vbrolleyes: Might happen.

Clearly, the Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 is the most sensible choice here. It looks to be becoming a very popular model and is probably the most likely model to get Lollipop. Really, I should just punch order now and go buy the 128 GB for $109 on Amazon with the money I'm saving. Dang, I never heard spending $500 bucks so sensible.

After spending some time on XDA and elsewhere, it is clear that the Lenovos are the riskiest. The Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is too new to even have any activity and, frankly, Lenovo seems woefully under-represented at XDA. Reviews seem okay, although user reviews are very enthusiastic. I like the idea of getting bigger than 10" but I'll admit I'm not sure if 13.3 isn't overkill. But I *really* like the idea of a touch screen that size.

The Samsung Galaxy Note Pro is probably the other model that is most pulling at me. It is a little older and much more niche-- this, like the Lenovo, is really a computer class tablet. I think a 12.2 inch screen would be perfect and it got high praise from TabletPC Review. Further it has the S-pen I've been lusting after even though I have no idea if I really want an S-pen or not. However as a more niche business class device, I'm betting it would be less likely to get Lollipop. There is activity on XDA, but for a TAB that has been out for 10 months, it isn't much while the Galaxy S, out for 5 months, has a lot of activity including root methods.

So, the decision I need to make --and probably before the 17 hours is up is-- do I want a business class machine so much that I'm willing to take what I get or do I value at least the possibility of rooting and maybe even flashing new ROMs.

Start the Final Jeopardy music... :vbgrin:

scjjtt likes this.
  9. Hook

I dood it. Titanium Bronze. And the 128GB SD from Amazon. :vbeek: Thanks, Mrs. Hook! :thumbsup:

Wait. I have to leave it under the tree.. :vbconfused:

10. Hook

Also, a big tip of the eye-patch to Jig. I would have probably obsessed over this for days without the great deal that made it plain what the choice had to be.

jigwashere, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.