Looking for A PDA, Article Links Here

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by Antoine Wright, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Hello all, a lot of times people come to BargainPDA with that question of what PDA to buy. They may want something simple, or something versatile, or something wireless. In all of those cases, there is a model for everyone. Here at BargainPDA, there has been a handy article prepared to address that issue of looking for a PDA. Check out the Back to School with a PDA article - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2204 - as well as some other upcoming articles, that will help make your choice of finding a PDA easier.

Here at BargainPDA, we try to have the resources that will help you make a good choice. Check out the Price Watch and PDA Reviews section for more specific information. And then, don't be afraid to come here and ask questions once you narrow your search down. We are here to help.

Now if this can be made a sticky, then that would help those that come right to this forum. Cheers.

Peace and Blessings
    ~antoinerjwright.com~

2. matburditt

matburditt Newbie

I am looking for a PDA that will allow me to check e-mail, including hotmail via Outlook everywhere that my cell phone works. For example in areas where there is no WiFi. I have been told there are no PDAs that will allow you to read hotmail, even if it is funneled through Outlook. I don't beleive this, is it true? Also, I have a plan with T-Mobil that will allow me to get data via GPRS which I beleive is in the same areas that their GSM is available. Does the Dell X30 support this? If not, any suggestions?

3. Antoine Wright

The Treo650 and HP iPaq h6310 are your best bets and will do what you ask.

Peace and Blessings
    ~antoinerjwright.com~

4. alexander

alexander Newbie

I'm looking for a good PDA that runs Linux.
    I've been looking at Royal Lin@x one, but i cant find one for sale anywhere...(tried ebay, google, froogle, royal, and some other sites)
    If anyone has any suggestions (except for getting a MS OS PDA) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    --Alex--

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I don't believe Royal ever made it to market with their Linux PDA. Your best bet is looking for Sharp Zaurus SL-6000s that are still available on clearence. Amazon had them for $400, which is a very good deal.

6. Gadgetman2005

Gadgetman2005 Newbie

Hello peoples, I wanted to share with everyone an accessory that I have come across to help protect everyones PDA. It is a stylish rubber adhesive that applies to the back of your PDA and prevents it from sliding around on the dash of your car or off your leg during a business meeting. Check out this web sit and see for yourself. Enjoy!

Mod Edit: Link Removed

7. Antoine Wright

Here are a few more links to articles worth checking out:

The Best PDA Software Gifts Are Free (Or, Cost Little) - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2352
    This article covers many of the places where you can search for software for your PDA.

Which Wireless Solution Offers the Best Mobility - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2343
    This article covers some of the ways in which you can go wireless with your PDA or laptop; along with giving some of the companies that provide those services.

How to Choose a PDA Part 1 - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2214
    A basic article in helping you find the PDA that best suits your needs.

How to Choose a PDA Part 2 - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2284
    This article looks at Flash memory and memory cards and helps to break down what can work for the PDA that you choose.

How to Choose a PDA Part 3 - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2299
    This article looks at the smartphone versus PDA question and gives some models that offer the ability to go wireless for Internet and email.

Accessories for Your PDA - http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2247
    This article gives a breakdown of some common accessories people purchase for their PDA as well as the places where they can be purchased.

Peace and Blessings
    ~antoinerjwright.com~

8. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

d-roC,
    with all indicators leading away from "personal digital assistants" or PDA's and focusing on smartphones....
    I see the extinction and soon.......especially w/BT so prominent...n/c

9. Antoine Wright

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by New Cell
    [br]d-roC,
    with all indicators leading away from "personal digital assistants" or PDA's and focusing on smartphones....
    I see the extinction and soon.......especially w/BT so prominent...n/c

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    In the more technically-savy user base, yes, smartphones and wireless PDAs will be the norm. But until prices come down and efficiency meets that of the worse mobiles, PDAs will not be so soon to go. That is not to say that manufacturers are not pressing the "you need wireless" button, because they are. I just think that there will be a polarity of users with (for the short term) some not wanting to be connected at all, and some who want to be connected all the time regardless of price.

PDAs as a concept will never go away, they will evolve, just like the calculator went from that LED thingy to a TI-is-necessary tool. PDAs will be around as long as people have information that needs to be accessed quickly.

Now fueled by a T5 :)

Peace and Blessings
    ~antoinerjwright.com~

10. aelsharawi

aelsharawi Newbie

hi all ...

I want to buy a new pda I'm a doctor I want it to read books,take photos,listen to MP3

what kind of doucments ,progrmes can palmone run ?
    some medical software companies make programes that ends with .pdb
    will this run on palm ??
    I think Pocket Pc is more expensive than palm

what should I buy ??

thx in advance !!!

11. Antoine Wright

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by aelsharawi
    [br]hi all ...

I want to buy a new pda I'm a doctor I want it to read books,take photos,listen to MP3

what kind of doucments ,progrmes can palmone run ?
    some medical software companies make programes that ends with .pdb
    will this run on palm ??
    I think Pocket Pc is more expensive than palm

what should I buy ??

thx in advance !!!

According to what it is that you are looking for, the palmOne Zire72 is a good by as it has the integrated camera and the secure digital slot for memory cards that will be able to store your medical databases and music files.

Just a note: the .pdb format stands for palm database. So if the software is in .pdb (or .prc meaning palm resource file), then a palmOS device is your best bet. That is not to say that a PocketPC device cannot read it, but that more times than not that it would be for a program for PalmOS PDAs.

Peace and Blessings
    ~antoinerjwright.com~

12. marcusgrimm

marcusgrimm Newbie

OK -

I know I want the following:

Cellphone (currently on AT&T)
    MP3 player
    Pocket Word
    Ability to use some sort of external keyboard, and not a teeny crappy one, either. I want to be able to do some serious typing from time to time.
    Cost isn't so much of a concern, as if I fall in love with this, it can do everything I currently do on my laptop.

With that criteria, where should I start?

13. Brian

Brian Mobile Deity

Will you start a new thread for this request please?

Brian

www.BargainPDA.com | www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReviewSpot.com

14. Beeper

Beeper Newbie

Can you tell me what pda other than Palm will sync with my Mac without too much difficulty?

15. Brian

Brian Mobile Deity

I feel like a broken record, this is also off topic, please start a new thread in the general PDA discussion.

Brian

www.BargainPDA.com | www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReviewSpot.com

16. fermi337

fermi337 Mobile Deity

I suggest you tell d-roc to edit the topic name a little bit. People come here reading the topic name "looking for a PDA" and they instantly jump here and post their requirements.

I made a deal with Adama. When I reach 134,529,400 posts, I will become a moderator!

17. Antoine Wright

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by fermi337
    [br]I suggest you tell d-roc to edit the topic name a little bit. People come here reading the topic name "looking for a PDA" and they instantly jump here and post their requirements.

I made a deal with Adama. When I reach 134,529,400 posts, I will become a moderator!

done.

Peace and Blessings
    ~antoinerjwright.com~

<a href="http://www.antoinerjwright.com/2005/03/poem-in-memory.htm">All computer stuff I do is in memory of my father (3/3/49 - 8/1/2000)</a>

18. scotty

scotty Newbie

Hi, I`m looking to purchase a PDA, but need to know the following:

Can I connect to the internet anywhere (not only Wi-Fi hotspots etc) like a laptop with a 3g mobile data card?

Also can I access my emails and download programs?

Thanks

19. charlimopps

charlimopps Mobile Enthusiast

Hehe, bud, you are forgetting about a large segment of the population that HATES Cellphones. I don't like Cellphones, My girlfriend doesnt like them, my best friend doesn't, My Dad has one but my Mom hates them.

I'm NOT going to buy a cellphone, even if the best PDA in the world is attached to it. So there will always be a market for PDA's that aren't integrated with Cellphones.

Now, wireless broadband is an entirely different story. In fact, if you include VOIP, I think the PDA itsell will do away with the smartphone. Why pay a phone bill when you can just pay a monthly wireless broadband fee?

20. Antoine Wright

Nah, I dont forget, but cellphones dont sell to people but to carriers. So thats where my perspective comes from on there.

Perosonally, who pay for monthly wireless broadband when my phone gets those speeds at the same price or less (in my case 144k @ $20/mo aint that bad; find myself on cingular's hsdpa netowrk and that is more like 500kish; and still less than cable; but not quite dsl in most reigons)

Srry it takes so long to reply, will make a note to see this thread more often.