Looking for a good value 10 inch Android Table

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Oct 5, 2015.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I have really enjoyed my Tablet. Since I don't use reading glasses, I use my tablet more for reading than my phone. The biggest drawback for me with the tablet is when I connect remotely to a computer. It is SO MUCH easier to do so with a Chromebook - using the touchpad to navigate the pointer on a Chromebook gives the feel that I'm right in front of my computer using it. It is much harder to navigate with the touchscreen of my Tablet remotely connected to another computer.

The second drawback of the Android Tablet experience is Google Sheets is not as powerful on Android as it is in Chrome. I don't use Sheets that often, but I do rely upon one particular file that I need to sort all of the columns based upon one of the columns (i.e. A-Z or Z-A). This is easily done on a Chromebook but not on my Phone or Tablet.

I have B.T. keyboards at my office and home desk. When I want to type using a keyboard, like now, I just hit a key, it syncs and off I go. In my small computer bag I carry a foldable Palm B.T. keyboard that I can use if away from my desks. I usually just use Graffiti when away from my desks with the Tablet (which I have installed on my Tablet) unless I'm going to be doing extensive typing.

I wonder are their B.T. keyboards that have a touchpad to move the pointer, and are they supported by Android? I'll have to look into that.

If I think I'll need to connect remotely away from the office or home to a computer, then I just throw my Chromebook into my bag and carry both - together they weigh less than what I use to carry in a Windows Laptop.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Based on my Samsung Tablet (I need to return it to my sig), any input device that connects by BT should work. I haven't looked because I hate touchpads, but I'm sure there are BT keyboards with touchpads. I have a good keyboard case for my tablet, which is convenient, but my favorite is a BT keyboard from Lenovo which has an optical stick on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Thinkpad style keyboard, which I love.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Same here re. touchpads, but I've looked at a few BT keyboards with touchpads just to see if I'm still of the same opinion (I am). An interesting design is the: Amazon.com: Rii i8+ BT Mini Wireless Bluetooth Backlight Touchpad ... https://www.amazon.com › Rii-Wireless-...

Looks somewhat cluttered, the touchpad on top is not what I'd expect, and the round design may not be the best for a tablet with a case/keyboard holder. I've seen smaller, oblong keyboards, from the same manufacturer. I have no idea what's the build quality, though. Still, may be worth a look.

jigwashere, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. scjjtt

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

17" x 5.5" Logitech and integrated mouse, with number pad, and various dedicated function buttons above the F-keys (internet, email, etc.); one dongle for both the kb and mouse. aside from working with a laptop/Chromebook, if the device supports USB-to-go, you're set. works with my phones and my newer (unrootable :vbfrown:) ASUS tablet. not sure how pricey it is, but it works quite well.

scjjtt, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

speaking of your signature, was your Nexus 5 Helga's chew-toy? <he asked sweetly...>

scjjtt, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hook

Scott, give Softmaker Planmaker Basic (free) a try and see if it otherwise handles your spreadsheet and if saving from Planmaker messes up Sheets. It's pretty powerful and does the sorting you want. This is assuming you do MS Office compatible files with Sheets. I have no idea what Planmaker does with native Sheets format, but probably worth the experiment.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. scjjtt

Hook - last year I followed your suggestion & bought SoftMaker at one of their sales. My experience with it was a lot different than yours. I even did a simple Presentation that another Windows computer could not even open it up in PowerPoint - even after I converted it to PPT. I found using Textmaker to do weird things going from Word to TextMaker concerning margins. Even going from Android SoftMaker to Windows SoftMaker I was having so many consistency problems that I finally just quietly walked sadly away wishing I was as savy as Hook to make it all work.

I don't think I've attempted PlanMaker much - maybe I should give that a shot.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  10. Hook

Sorry to hear and apologize because you probably posted this then and I seem to have forgotten. I am perplexed simply because I'm not aware that I do anything particularly special or "savvy" to get things to work.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.