Looking for a good value 10 inch Android Table

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Oct 5, 2015.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I made the mistake awhile back of updating Google Drive and Google Docs on my HP TouchPad. My TouchPad is running CM 9 (Android 4.0.4) and now when I try to update Google Docs Google tells me "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Now, I know I if I loaded CM 10 or 11 or 12 that I may get around this, but putting on other ROM's haven't been my specialty. When I loaded CM 9 on this tablet I had detailed step by step instructions from WebOS Nations - and my IT friend has been working 60-70 hours at work plus doing things here at the church and I hate to bother him.

SO..... I need my B.H. friends to help me find a good value 10 inch tablet. I'll be coming into $200 soon and I thought I could use that toward a new tablet.

Here are some of my wishes/thoughts for your input and advice:

1. I think I like 4:3 screen display better than 16:10 or 16:9. I have recently gone to using my tablet in portrait to preach from instead of printing out my manuscripts.

2. I believe I would like a mini HDMI output - but it is not a deal breaker.

3. At home I have a BT Keyboard right in front of the tablet but in my office I don't (I rely on my desktop computer working with Chrome and Google Drive/Docs/Sheet). I do like my thin HP cover that props up the tablet & would want something similar.

[​IMG]

With all of that said I think the Asus Transformer Pad TF103 is interesting - although it has a 16:9 screen & no mini HDMI output. I like using a keyboard & I wouldn't have to travel with one of my B.T. keyboards when traveling solo with the tablet.

I don't need a super powerful tablet. I don't play any games on it. Up to now my old HP Touchpad dual booted with Web OS & Android - CM9 worked just fine. I just need a 10 inch tablet to do work on & to use as a display for preaching & teaching. Once I get a new tablet I will then dive in & try taking off CM9 & putting on a newer ROM.

All suggests, advice & warnings are welcome.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

2. scjjtt

Another wish for a tablet - that the screen would have the same type of response as my S4. With my S4 I can write, using Graffiti, with either my finger or with a stylus, which I prefer. With my TouchPad & my Hisense Sero 7'' I can't use a stylus with them - it skips when writing letters but works fine with my finger.

3. scjjtt

jigwashere likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I don't have positive recommendations, but I can suggest strongly not to skimp on internal memory. Actually, since we know Hook is happy with his Tab S, and there is a 2nd generation S, you might be able to pick up a 1st generation Tab S for a decent price...but not $200, I don't think :-(

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Black Friday is coming up, so you might find some deals then if you can wait. Have you considered a Chromebook?

scjjtt likes this.
  6. scjjtt

Jig, I already have the first Chromebook that was offered on the playstore - Acer C7. I really like it & use it a lot, but I'm looking for a tablet that I can use in preaching & teaching. I also like to take my tablet to the office & have Calengoo up to look at when calendar planning.

Sent from a Hisense Sero Pro 7 using Tapatalk.

jigwashere likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

scjjtt likes this.
  8. scjjtt

I really prefer an Android OS on my tablet over my Chrome due to the apps that I can use on Android.

jigwashere likes this.
  9. scjjtt

My S4 has 16 G for internal memory so I think a Tablet with at least 16 G & and external memory should be fine.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yah, my Tab 3 (7", wifi only) has 8Gb internal, and I find it sluggish if I let the available drop below 2Gb

scjjtt likes this.