Long time Gophone for talk.... have tested "texting"

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Jerry_NJ, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I continue to find the prepay AT&T Gophone offers a good value for my casual need/use of cell telephony. But, I wonder if I can buy a "smartphone" device to access/use my existing Gophone account. Here I'm talking about, say, moving my existing SIM card to a low-end simple touch screen telephone. I'd like to simply be able to place/receive voice telephone on the new device, and perhaps "text" on rare occasions. I might want to move forward to doing "email" and even web browsing, but I'd be interested in getting a touch screen smartphone to just do what I now do. Plain old telephone (POT) service, uing my existing account that charges 10 cents a minute for air time. I guess it also has a data based charge, but I have used that so little I didn't notice what the charges were.

I see displays at Walmart on AT&T Gophone with a touch screen "telephone". I haven't yet been able to get a clear answer on the ability to simply buy the touch screen telephone to carry on with my existing Gophone account.

As for one reason I'd like to continue to use my existing Gophone account is ith has about $300 in prepaid balance.

Thanks.

2. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

The short answer is yes. However there are a few caveats to consider.

You can actually use any smartphone (touch screen telephone if you prefer :vbwink: ) that is GSM and has AT&T's frequencies. Just stick the SIM card in and away you go. If the new phone takes a different size SIM card, you can even get them to give you a new one with your old account data.

There are two catches however. First, even an older used phone may use 3G data when you don't intend it to unless you explicitly turn off the data radio.

And if you start using 3G or 4G data (probably not hard to find a 3G only model), they may notice at some point that you have a smartphone and require you to get a pricier smartphone plan. If you don't do it much, however, They may not notice. I'm not sure how well they police the network.

You could see if you can find a "messaging phone." These are phones with a qwerty keyboard and no touch screen. They don't use Android or any other smartphone OS, but are easy to text on and use as a phone and they are not considered smartphones. They may even include some email capability using "mobile web" (which I believe is 2G).

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

If you do get a smartphone, you could turn off data and simply access the internet on it through your home WiFi network. Your usage out and about would continue to be for phone calls with the possible addition of text messages.

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Jig is correct. I wasn't sufficiently clear about this point. I have a Nexus 5, a pretty powerful smartphone. However, if I kept data turned off and only used it to text and make calls (not mms) and only used the internet when I had wifi available, I would be able to use it freely on the Gophone 10cents a minute plan and they wouldn't care that it was actually a powerful smartphone. I was just re-checking this at their site and they explicitly state this-- as long as you do not use the data on your smartphone and only use wifi, you are allowed to have a smartphone on the 10 cents a minute plan. That is actually a change in their wording from a couple of years ago.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, I may pick up the low-priced GoPhone touch screen at the AT&T store and ask them to transfer my SIM, and fix if something new is needed. I think that phone is $59 (or near that) and is setting on their "Gophone" display Walmart also displays the same phone for the same price, might as well go to AT&T, in general I hope AT&T folks are better able to deal with any Gophone complications.

I have seen the phone with the GWERTY keyboard, but my old eyes would have trouble just dialing numbers (albeit I do make use of a directory and speed dial most of the time). My current phone is 3G and if I use WiFi for any browsing (may find I like it better for simple email than turning on my computer) the new "smart phone" doesn't even have to make a phone call? Thus AT&T doesn't even see the traffic, using Comcast. That is if the Gophone touch screen supports WiFi I simply have to program it with what it needs to get by my WiFi security/login, right?

6. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Correct. Assuming this is Android, you'll need to go into Wi-Fi settings an connect to your home network. You should only need to do that once. After that it will just remember the network.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks I just went online with AT&T and see I can get a refurbished basic touch screen for $14.99 and the "chat" said I can connect to my existing account and funds. It has Andriod OS, do it may connect to my WiFi too... I didn't try to discuss that with the "chat?.

I have quit using my Palm Z22 maybe the AT&T "semi-smart" phone will handle all my contact information/directory needs.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

even the earliest Android phones included wifi, to the best of my knowledge (certainly, anything -- even a refurb -- sold today should include wifi).

Best luck!

9. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I ordered a Nokia Windows 8.1 smart phone, AT&T advertizes it can be used on Gophone service. As I plan to use WiFi for any heavy data stuff the Gophone support of testing should satisfy my immediate needs/wants.