Loading MP3 files onto SD card

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by abenn, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

What's the correct way to load MP3 files onto an SD card for use in an E2 running pTunes, please?

I had about 150 files on the card, loaded by putting the card into my PC's card slot, and dragging and dropping them, and it was working fine with pTunes on my E2. But then, with my PC reporting the card only half full it wouldn't let me add any more files.

Checking the card's properties on my PC, I saw it was RAW format, so I formatted it in FAT format to see if that would allow me to copy more files to it. But my Palm E2 then wouldn't recognise the card. I then formatted the card on my E2, but now my PC won't recognise it.

Should I be using some software and HotSync instead of trying to drag and drop the files on my PC?

2. kdrude

kdrude Mobile Evangelist

I use CardReader on my TX and have no problems transferring files from my PC to my pda. What software are you using to "drag and drop the files" on your PC?

3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I'm using Windows Explorer, with the card in the SD slot in my PC.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It sounds like your card may be having problems. Windows explorer shouldn't care if the card is formatted by the Palm. Do you have a different card you can tr. If not, I would get a new1GB card (pretty cheap these days) and try it. I rarely ever format an SD card, but when I have, I've let the Palm do the formatting.

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

It was working okay before I formatted it, except that it wouldn't let me add any more files.

Ahh ... I've just formatted it again on my Palm, and Windows does recognise it now. I've dragged and dropped the same (I think) MP3 files as I had before the problem started, and it's now showing that I've only used about 25%.

I'll get another card next chance I have, as it seems this card may be a little flaky.

6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Sometimes Windows just gags and hiccups. That's why I try to stay away from it.

7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks, Stan. Indeed, Windows is now refusing again to load any more files, even thought both it and my Palm agree that there's 500MB free space.

I'll let you know what happens when I get a new card -- after all, it might be the card itself, and not Windows.

8. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

It seems that there's a limit on how many files you can put into the root directory of an SD card. I got a new card, but had exactly the same problem as with the original one.

By simply creating a folder named "Music", and putting the files there instead, I've been able to use the full capacity of the card. I use Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop the files on my PC using the built-in card reader, and pTunes is then happy with them when I put the card into my E2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.