Little things we'd like to know/solve

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by CEB, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Here's a thread for all those little things that we'd like to know or solve. Maybe I should start a new thread for each, but they're only going to be little things. The beauty is in the detail.

Fonts: can I change the font used? For example, when I add a note to my Calendar, it syncs to Outlook and the note is in Tahoma font. I mean, what kind of person uses Tahoma????

2. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Here's another one.

How do I stop Automatic Synchronising? I want to leave it attached to my PC so it charges, but don't want it to sync every time I make a change. The reason is, I frequently leave my desk and I want to disconnect it when I do, but it always seems to be in the middle of a sync and I don't want to pull the plug in case it messes something up.

Thanks.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I use Tahoma! :) That's why I haven't fooled around with fonts much. I know you can move fonts from your PC into the Windows/Fonts folder, but I think these will only show up in Word.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I used go into ActiveSync on my PC, go into Connection Settings, and disable USB connections. This will allow your Tilt to charge without syncing. I don't use Outlook so I only had to change the setting when I wanted to install something.

Another -- probably better -- option is this adapter from PPCTechs. There's a small switch on it that lets you put your Tilt into fast charging mode, which not only recharges it faster but prevents a data connection from starting. Flipping that switch to the other setting will start a data connection.
    -

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Disabling USB connections would work, but it's a bit of a pain to turn off and on all the time. Remember the days of Psion, when you clicked an icon to make it sync? Happy days :D

Oh no, not another adapter! I paid £6 ($12) for my adapter, including S&H, but it doesn't have the switch. Not sure if they would ship to the UK anyway, but I suppose I could get one from a UK store.

That gave me an idea though. I could buy a powered USB hub, plug it into the wall for power, and into the Tilt to charge it. Then I could connect it to my PC only when I want sync. Another option is a desktop charging stand (inc PSU), again I would only connect the USB to the PC when I wanted to sync.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. buckyg

buckyg Mobile Deity

I use Arial as my system font. There is a registry change to do this, I believe. What I used instead to change it is Tweaks2k2 .NET. This app and probably some others will allow you to change the font and do other nice tweaks.

This is, of course, after copying the font over to your PPC as Ed Hardy mentioned.

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Sorry, I didn't see this post. Thanks for the heads-up buckyg. I'd rep you if some fool hadn't taken away the rep system ;)

Seems like every little thing I want is a major hassle involving tweaks to the registry. Maybe I'm just obsessing on the small things to make it perfect.

I think, when I have more time, I think I'll start playing around with these tweaks and with the registry. Although the thought makes me shudder. Is there a way to get back to where I was (including data) if I make a mess of the registry?

8. buckyg

buckyg Mobile Deity

I know what you mean, CEB. While I'm comfortable tweaking the registry, it still does make me a little nervous. That's why I'd suggest a tweaks program. Tweaks2k2 .NET is the one I use, but it's not free. I believe there are other such programs out there.

These types of programs typically have a list of tweaks and a check box. You can click the box, save the change, soft-reset and see if it works or there are any issues. If you don't like it, you can go back in un-check the tweak.

9. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Right, sounds good (apart from the paying part).

I ought to get into registry tweaks on my PC (it would help with work), but I can't risk screwing up my work PC. It wouldn't be so bad on the Tilt because I can always hard reset and sync to get all my data back.

Actually, that would have worked with my Palm (Palm OS), but I'm not sure that's how it works on WM as I'm new to the platform.

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.