List of XP compatible palms

Discussion in 'Palm' started by mutton-javelin, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mutton-javelin

mutton-javelin Mobile Deity

I've never used micrograde. For the record, Gradekeeper's site license is very inexpensive. It is very effective at keeping records and grades. My fellow teachers are starting to want to do the same thing I do at work, which is use my Palm to keep my gradekeeper book. It eliminates errors and speeds work. If only I could find some cheap current units.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

It really streaks me that the weak link in your project is the price of outdated devices. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Comes up like all of a sudden everybody believes they got a collectible in the drawer. Come on, most of them allowed their Palms get old for years, just like my sister did.

As I returned to university some years back, I had the chance to field test Palm devices (and from other platforms), and apps, and a laptop, and I got real first-hand experience and I could tell what's a working resource and what's a fairy tale. And, I actually made a good use of the Palm PIM apps for all academic time & resource management, nothing else. I never used Gradekeeper, but I understand it's intended for the whiteboard (formerly blackboard) side of the class. There are other resources, like Due Yesterday, very endorsed by QuestionFear, but it's intended for the chair/desk side of the class (not your condition, I reckon). In those times, I only tried 4.0 Student, which offers one app for each side of the class and it's pretty interoperating among both. How does this Gradekeeper thing work?

3. mutton-javelin

Crazy huh? How much is the least expensive ipod touch these days? Gradekeeper can run on all types of devices. I figured a Palm M500 would be a cheap alternative for now. It makes sense in that if something happens to it. I just happen to do a large amount with my TX at school. (Docs etc). I really need the mobility and I don't have (nor do I want a computer in my classroom). My coworkers just want the mobility for Gradekeeper without using their own phones etc.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I know what you mean. OK, an iPod Touch can be an expensive device, but it's loaded with things and it's new. A Palm should not be expensive, but yeah, things are going crazy.

A Palm has just the right power needed for a classroom. I attended a university that is reluctant to adopt this new trend in which everybody is admitted previous purchase of a laptop/notebook/netbook/whatever. Many courses are already lectured thanks to a computer, but there is only one computer in the classroom, with a projector, no monitor, and the teacher guides the students through a Flash document that contains all the coursework; in those specific courses, the student is required to purchase a specific book that contains all the theoretical background; the scope is to enforce the learning process focusing the lectures on excercises, instead of writing and rewriting theory that has been written for centuries. It works, but for just a given number of courses. i.e., it doesn't work for Math, not for the exercises at least, though it helps a bit with the theory.

I carried a laptop until I got convinced that, as my university doesn't provide desks but armchairs for the students, if a lecture in particular didn't require a full size computer power, I was better with a paper pad. Or, the mere action of standing off the chair would make the armchair juggle the laptop until some disgrace happened. I eventually reserved my laptop to those situations in which it really came useful, and in which I wouldn't find a computer assigned to the class. For the everyday needs, my best combo was a Palm device, a foldable IR keyboard, a big ring binder with my notes and clean paper, a jumpdrive, a multipurpose pen including one stylus point, and a four color pen.

5. mutton-javelin

I hear you. I teach stats once or twice a year at the college level. It is a computer intensive course. I was assigned a location once that had no comps, or even projector. It was not a traditional stats course, but instead focused on using Excel.

I wonder if any manufacturer will design and market a new PDA. Focused more on a good form factor for actually doing work and less on the Smart Phone angle. As it stands now I'll probably need an old PC hanging around to sync with for some time. I can't see myself changing devices.

Thanks for all the help on finding Palm devices. The M500 should arrive Monday. I'm always keen on new ideas for this job.

I missed your Gradkeeper question Hal. Gradkeeper is an electronic gradebook. It just works. I've tried many others and they just can't handle actual day to day teacher record keeping and grades. It is also quite inexpensive for a site license. It has a palm app. I threw my old paper gradebook out the day I discovered that. My fellow teachers were not impressed initially. Now though they want a way to keep grades the way I do, with a PDA for full mobility. It just so much more efficient and accurate.

6. mutton-javelin

the m500 rides again. I fired it up after charging and it works. Great old machine. Synced Gradekeeper to it. Cheap alternative to something more "updated" and new...:newpalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.