List of XP compatible palms

Discussion in 'Palm' started by mutton-javelin, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mutton-javelin

mutton-javelin Mobile Deity

My coworkers are asking me to find them handheld devices for use at work (at a high school). I run something called Gradekeeper for recording purposes. Is there a list of palms that can sync with XP. I'm hunting around for old units, but as you all know their prices have gone up:confused: :confused: :confused: :(

thanks

2. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

All of them.

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/32991_en.html
    http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/37014_en.html

3. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

Basically there are several different Palm desktops. The most general desktop is the version 4.1.4 for windows xp. Some of the palms can also have their own version for Mac/Apple Palm desktop (sorry I have no experience).

One Palm "flavored" desktop is the one for Handspring/Treo(early versions). It is called the 4.0.1 version. It will play on a XP or a Apple/mac computer
    Handspring Visor handhelds:

* Visor/Visor Deluxe
    * Visor Platinum
    * Visor Prism
    * Visor Edge
    * Visor Neo
    * Visor Pro

For more information go to:
    http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/47831_en.html#pilot

Another version is the Palm desktop for Sony Clies. For more information go to the forums at 1src.com.

---------------------------
    Even though the OT didn't ask, there may be some Linux netbooks out there that may use Palm desktop too.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

mutton-javelin, I reckon that you can find a lot of compatible devices out there. Josser's posted list is comprehensive, but I dare to place a thought: you better not choose those models we dub as legacy around here, namely those belonging to the 1st and 2nd generation of the Palm saga, cause even though they are categorized as XP-compliant, you're gonna run into a lot of sync issues, and app-compatibily issues as well. I suggest you aim to only Palm OS v.4 and v.5 devices. Besides, really old devices may need repairs and battery replacements and the like; they are likely to require a lot of tinkering, so better aim for the most recent devices you can find. There are thousands of useful and working devices sitting in drawers and in ebay and whatnot. It is surprising that the prices are going up, BTW. Something weird is happening.

Josser, where did your legendary avatar go?

5. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

Maybe it is just Los Angeles that has a huge supply of Handspring devices? Legacy hardware is a bit difficult but the Palm OS 3.x is not bad and there is a bit of support and usefulness for those devices.

The zire line are mostly newer enough and I would recommend they try to obtain any new ones. Sony Clie devices has problems if you have only a few of them. Some early Clie devices like the N-710C was too early in production. However IR is interchangeable and would work with any palm device.

Anyway get any Palm device with IR, it would work in a school situation.

6. mutton-javelin

Zire 71 perhaps????

I think I will have them demo my old z22. If they are OK with that we will shoot for a refurb if possible. I saved my z22 for a backup as it can run Gradekeeper.:newpalm:

7. mutton-javelin

These prices are "insane"... and not in the "Crazy Eddy's" kind of way. (if you remember those. I can't fathom how these are so expensive for used devices and such. For that matter, does anyone know of a trusted reseller of Palm products? :confused:

I should mention that the app I need to run (gradkeeper) is available on Apple products and WM as well.

8. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

9. mutton-javelin

Newegg has M500's for 30$. I think I'll grab one of these. They can try Gradekeeper on that and find something better later on.

10. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.