Line not announcing calls & messages

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by stlucia, Feb 8, 2021.

1. stlucia

stlucia Mobile Consultant

Because many of my friends and family are in the Far East I use Line for messaging and for internet video and voice calls. Recently it has stopped, most times, making the 'ding dong' noise when messages arrive, or making the ring tone when calls arrive. Sometimes I get a single 'ding' when a message arrives, but it's very missable. Apart from the lack of notification sounds, all the calls and messages work well.

My daughter has also commented to me on the same issue sometimes with Line on her Motorola Android phone. Mine is a Samsung A71 with Android 10, and I'm pretty sure I've got all Android and Line settings correct, but there'so so many I might have missed one.

Any ideas please?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I have no experience with Line, so this is really speculative troubleshooting…

Have you added any new apps recently? Sometimes, especially if it is a control type app (e.g., Shortcutter - Quick Settings), unexpected interactions occur.

Are any other apps misbehaving? If yes, maybe some update by your carrier is at fault.

Good-luck, RA

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. stlucia

Thanks Rick. No apps like you mention, only a Thai COVID app that's to be used with QR codes whenever I visit a shop. But no other apps are misbehaving, and I only use Line via WiFi, so unlikely to be my carrier.

Edit: Just remembered that the problem occured before I installed that COVID tracker app.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

What about checking to see if you somehow muted notifications for the app?

Might need to visit: Settings > Apps > App Settings and make sure that Line has permission to send you notifications.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

More awake now -- it's possible that an upgrade to an app is the culprit. Even with "auto update" turned off, some apps from Google seem to update.

As for how you connect, a carrier update of security settings could be involved, regardless of how Line accesses the internet.

IF a notification setting had been changed, I'd expect it to always be off (that is, no sound), UNLESS it was the sound being used -- in that case, try using a different notification sound -- that might be universal for all notifications, just a heads-up.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  6. stlucia

Thanks for those responses. I've checked (again) and notifications are allowed for Line for calls, general notifications, message notifications, and timeline notifications.

The odd thing is it sometimes gives a notification when a new chat message or a call arrives. My daughter, different carrier, different country, experiences similar, so it's surely got to be a bug in Line itself, or a conflict between it and Android.