Lightscribe DVD's and CD's...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Varjak, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Anyone here have any particular feelings about the best brand of Lightscribe blanks for CD-R's and DVD-R's? The basic choice seems to be between Verbatim and Memorex, although there are other brands available. Memorex seems to be a tad more expensive, but not significantly. Thanks.

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I abandon using Lightscribe and writing CDs/DVDs. But before that, I used to use Verbatim brand CDs/DVDs. It's works great, never had a problem.

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I've used the HP Lightscribe discs. Oddly, they're the same price (or less) than the others at my local Wally-World, and have proven very reliable for me. Perhaps the HP branded discs are just repackaged from one of the other makers?

4. Scoobie10

Scoobie10 Cowboy in the Jungle

I used Verbatim but haven't done any LS in a few years. Just burning very basic text would take 30 minutes and designs took forever. I've also noticed some fading of the discs that I made two years ago. Maybe the technology has been beefed up but I just don't do it anymore.

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

My laptop doesn't have LightScribe, but my sister's laptop does. I have mostly used it to teach my sister into it. Yes, I was advised to use Verbatym and they're good. BTW, at the Wal-Mart stores here, they sell the cheapest of all CD-Rs, apiece, and I discovered they are LightScribe-sensitive. Oh, here's one, Imation, white faced. But if you try, watch it, cause the Imation metal-faced gets LightScribe'd, but kinda on BOTH sides :-/ (shouldn't happen, I know, but that's what I get for being so cheap)

6. JRakes

Hello, Scoobster! Where have YOU been so long? ;)

Interesting - Your comments about the speed. Lappie will burn a couple of lines of text label in about 2-3 minutes. I've not tried any designs, though - I don't think I've ever used a background image for any disc labeling, printed or burned. But I did use a couple of small symbols a couple of times with some text - IIRC, those took a minute longer. Lappie is a '06 model, so not new. I wonder if the drive model itself, as well as the version of LS software, makes a difference...

The Lightscribe labeling is pretty neat and handy (especiallly if you have illegible psycho-killer handwriting like I do. :rolleyes: ) But it's pretty limited, being monochrome, etc. I use it for simple text labeling of backup discs and such, as well as custom mix CDs just to identify 'em.

7. Scoobie10

Scoobie10 Cowboy in the Jungle

I have one of the very first versions of LS running on a computer that's probably 4 years old, somelike like that. I'm sure things have improved since my copy.

I'm still around, checking in everyday or so. Getting ready to go check the girls this afternoon and see how they have faired through the winter thus far. Went into winter with 4 hives, hoping to come out with the same.

8. JRakes

Ah... Well, my only experience with LS is with Lappie, so I have no idea how the technology might or might not have "evolved." Was just curious, as it's worked fine for me, albeit my limited use.

Tell the girls I said, "Hi!" and I'm expecting great things from them this year! Most folks would say I need some "sweetening up" anyway... :rolleyes: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.