LG G2 - Broken LCD

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jigwashere, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

As I stood up, my LG G2 fell from my pants pocket and the corner hit the cement floor. It only fell from chair height, but it was enough to shatter the screen. :(

Interestingly, the device recognizes the LCD is damaged and gives me instructions to use the power button and volume keys to answer calls and turn off any alarms.

I can't swipe the screen with my finger with my unlock pattern, but came up with another idea. Using my OTG cable and a USB mouse, I was able to unlock the screen and now I have initiated Titanium backup. I'll offload the backup to my PC when it's done.

While I contemplate my options, I'll reactivate my Samsung E4GT. I few months ago, I noticed the batteries for my E4GT were swollen, so I recently purchased a new one. I'll have to bring a charger with me to work, though, since I never had good battery life with that phone.

Grrrr!!!! I spent the weekend going entering all our receipts into spreadsheets trying to forecast our 2014 tax bill. I don't want to cancel my Chromebook order, but I think something's gotta give. Please stand by.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig - I'm so sorry to hear that. Those circumstances are never fun or cheap.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

lelisa13p, Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

really, really sorry to hear this, jig. have you considered just having the screen replaced? at least for the iDevices, there are many kiosks in malls; in a large metro area like you're in, I'd expect you to be able to find one, for a reasonable price (iPhone 5 screen was ~ $100 last year this time). best luck, whatever you choose to do.

EDIT: forgot to say, your way forward to use the OTG cable and mouse was really good!
    EDIT2: have you considered getting in touch with Chris Short, even if it's just for a reference/suggestion?
    EDIT3: don't know if this link will be useful at all:
    http://www.local.com/business/resul...ile phone repair&location=Minneapolis%2C%20MN

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Eeeek! :(

I've been running around with my Note II without a case. Sadly, I'm in no position to upgrade it, even with upgrade eligibility. I feel for you! Makes me rethink my strategy, as I'm carrying it in my pants pocket as well...

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

So sorry to hear, Jig. Ricks suggestion of Chris Short. He claims he does smartphones on a car by case basis, and screen replacement might be one of those cases.

6. RickAgresta

probably jinxing myself by admitting this, but none of my phones, smart or feature, have had any real protection -- the S3 has a rubberized back"case" but all that does, imo, is make it easier to hold (it's a slippery little bugger otherwise). I have picked up small scratches in the glass, but they're not noticeable, for the most part.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I haven't had a problem with other pants pockets (jeans, dress pants, khakis, shorts), but I was wearing my (Batman :rolleyes:) sleep pants. I've always been wary of this phone being extra delicate, but recently removed the TPU case since I hadn't dropped it in a year. Unfortunate choice, apparently. My upgrade is almost a year away, so I'll have to explore a repair.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. RickAgresta

where's Alfred when you need him..? :vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  9. RickAgresta

jig, can't recall your battery-saving-extending efforts with the reactivated Epic 4GT, but if you haven't, suggest trying to turn off 4G, and live with 3G, if you need data on. better, disable data unless you really need it on. I find that makes a huge difference on my S3 (data off, wifi off -- except when needed, then off again. PITA, but better battery life)

10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That's really bad news, jig. Especially considering how fond you are of that device. I fear having the same thing happen to my main device, which is why I've always carried them in bulky cases. My Xperia Z1 resides in a book style case, ugly as hell (the case, not the phone!) but whenever I feel like removing the case I always see pointy rocks on the ground and decide it's not worth the risk, Gorilla Glass or not.

I hope you can get the screen replaced soon. And perhaps get a utility belt (after all, that's what Batman pants should have) so you can carry the phone on it.

I find it amazing that the phone can detect it has a broken screen. I doubt there's an actual sensor in the LCD. Could it be that the accelerometer has a redline and if the phone moves in a way that exceeds it then it decides it must have been a strong enough fall to break it? :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.