learning C language

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Nicholas w, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas w

Nicholas w Mobile Deity

i am wanting to learn how to develop games for the palm.But theres one minor drawback, i dont know any of the languages that i need to know.I read all of palms getting started pages.i also know what i am getting into.and where do i start at anyways?

2. dae il

dae il Mobile Deity

I was like you once.
    I wanted, really wanted, to write my own Palm applications.

I bought a book on how to write Palm software, and loaded up the disk that came with it, and also loaded another program on my computer to write Palm applications.

To make a long story short, I never did "get into" writing my own Palm applications. I talked to a friend of mine who knows C, and he said it was pretty easy (the basic stuff). I was going to teach myself, but I had other things to study.

What I would do if I were you, get a book on how to write C programs. On my Palm book, it says that it was a requirement.

3. Nicholas w

Nicholas w Mobile Deity

where would i get a book like that?And do you know any good web sites that will teach me?

4. ben4e71

ben4e71 Mobile Deity

If you are going to try to learn how to program for the Palm, I would not recomend Code Warrior (its one of the most popular C development tools and expensive - $800) which comes on the disk (or at least a demo version does). I learned C using a compiler called OnboardC - it runs completely on the Palm Pilot and generates completley standalone applications (no runtimes). It uses ANSI C and is now open source/freeware. You can download it at www.palmgear.com. OnboardC isn't for games though, unless you are very good at writting Graffiti, but I recommend it for learning the basics of C and Palm programming when you have a few minutes to spare. The other tool I use is called Pocket Studio (www.pocket-technologies.com). This uses a language similar to Pascal, and it took me about a day to learn the langauge after using C. I haven't used any of the Palm programing books, instead I rely on developers forums and the Palm website (www.palmos.com) which has links to the major forums. The Palm OS website has several pieces of code for games and the source code to both Hardball and Subhunt. If you have any questions on tools, or specific code examples, just e-mail palm_buddy@hotmail.com.
    Ben

5. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Well, I use a program called PocketC - it won't really allow you to make games full of fast graphics, but it does allow you to make some kind of puzzles/games. If you're interested, I've attached a very simple version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" that I made using PocketC a few months ago.

Thomas

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.