Kool!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nicholas w, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas w

Nicholas w Mobile Deity

on tv i just saw an earthquake make this crane fall off of sum building over in asia that is being built. first it like leans, then falls over and slides off building. then it takes a few seconds to fall and BAM it hits the road and part of the building. IT WAS KOOOOL :D :D :D. but sadly it hit a car and killed 5 people :(.

well, this is the off topic forum right ?

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Would you think the same if you knew one of the five in the car?

There is a differance between special effects and real life!

3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I totally agreed with you BAB2000. Special Effect doesnt get people hurt and in the real life, people do.

JC

4. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Sorry, but I'm giving Nick W benefit of the doubt here - only the destruction part of the post was 'kool' and the deaths were prefaced with 'sadly'. I'm all for clips of buildings collapsing/cars blowing up/pies in face etc as long as no-one gets hurt. Well, it could be a particularly sharp pie... ;)

5. Nicholas w

Nicholas w Mobile Deity

thanks nine for saving my butt. i think that destruction and explosions are cool in movies. but i think that they are even better in real life. i guess its just knowing that physics are actually in effect and not being altered by wires or anything.

but however!!! i DO NOT like it when people are killed. i guess i made it out as being too cool , witch overshadowed the fact that i said "but sadly it hit a car and killed 5 people :( .". i know all too well how the death of a loved one can feel. and if i knew one of those people in the car, or perhaps all of them, i would not be here posting about this.

6. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

Yep....figured you meant it that way Nick.;)

I have always found it interesting that men find violence and destruction so fascinating. I remember when I was young I used to go see James Bond movies with my cousin. Mostly in the 60s it was men in the theaters watching those movies and they would wildly cheer with every car crash and fight scene. I thought the kewlness of 007 was best and then he always got the girl (not the part of interest for the men in the audience). Well, anyway, I have a better appreciation in my old age for the power of the earth, but still not as much as guys do. Still it seems odd that I like to watch those specials that show the demolition of huge buildings/structures. Now that has got to be a great job...blowing up structures so they fall in a heap the size of a postage stamp!!!

7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

nick w.,
    Thank you for your additional insight. And I appreciate your understanding.

Today, television brings to many tragedies (natural and manmade) into our life just for the purpose on entertainment or shock efect.

For me your first post and description reminded me of the first tower in NYC collasping as I knew rescue workers were in stair wells moving to provide aid and not yet there to assist victims:(

:)

8. VampiressRN

I agree BAB, I don't think any of us will ever forget those horrible pictures of the 911 tragedy. Such a shock even to this day. I watched a special on the analysis of the building destruction and it was certainly eye-opening. We are all so vulnerable, there really is no safe place in the world anymore. The analysis of the 911 structure damage will help us in future high-rise buildings, but there is really no way that could have been prevented. They said that the buildings could have remained standing even with the plane impacts, except for the heat from the fuel explosions which just melted the support structures. Wonder what kind of attack or destruction to the world all those evil people are out there planning now....scary.:eek:

9. echo4lima

echo4lima Semper, Silens, Mortalis

Ahh who can forget the 9/11 tragedy...I was there in Nov. 2001, it was one of the most heart wrenching experiences of my life. I have a bunch of pics of my trip for those that have not seen them, they are Here

To walk through the area was a sacred, overwhelming experience... I think the proper words to describe the kind of footage with the planes crashing into the WTC and those cranes collapsing is awe inspiring and humbling those kind of video captures strike up so many different emotions it''s hard to orate accuratly, each of us percieves it differently and is able to orate it differently which can be mis-interpreted by others....

10. VampiressRN

Wow Ken...what a great site you put together. Those are very moving pictures of the 9/11 events. Gonna have to go back and check your site out more. Just cried reading about your unit....war is so ugly, bless all of you for laying your lives on the line to help support freedom in this world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.