Knee issues?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by questionfear, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I know going to a real doctor-type is probably what I need, but I was wondering if informally anyone here can help me out.

Tonight at rugby practice I was playing defender and trying to block a teammate. Unfortunately her knee collided with mine, on the outside of my left knee. HORRIBLE PAIN for a second, and then when I tried to stand up I couldn't put weight on it. After a few minutes and an ice pack it felt better, and I was able to walk around comfortably (although I did not even attempt to run or continue to tackle.)

I got home a bit ago, I've been icing it and took some ibuprofen. It doesn't hurt consistently, but I can sort of feel pressure. It's not outwardly swollen either. Sometimes while standing it felt sort of "wobbly", like it was going to give out, but didn't. A minute ago I also learned drawing my leg in too tight was really not a good idea, as that was pretty damn painful.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could have happened? If it still hurts in a day or so I will call my doctor, but I was wondering if anyone's had a similar experience. I know there's usually a few "culprits" in knee injuries...

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sorry to hear about your knee, QF. Other than staying off it as much as possible, I'd continue the ice and elevationÂ…and, as you said, doctor if need be. Luck!

3. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Can you dislocate your knee? Maybe that's what happened. As a matter of fact, I had a similar experience, sans the whole rugby situation. :p I shall not disclose the details of my incident as no one will believe me, no one at work did...which is why I'm not telling y'all! <pokes tongue out> :p

Needless to say it hurt like HECK for a few days afterwards. I couldn't bend it back as you say QF and was soo afraid to sleep at night in fear of turning "wrong" and waking in excruciating pain.

I've just begun to walk w/o a limp and haven't bandaged it in a couple of days...but am still very careful. I've had this problem over the last few years, where during some VERY INNOCENT activity, my knee will pop out of place and hurt like the dickens until it works itself back in as I lie/lay (?) very still and cry. :( This was the worst experience I've ever had though, because usually after it's back in place it's fine. This time I'm still hurting days after...not as much as when it initially happened, but hurts still the same.

Even though I'm being hardheaded and haven't gone yet, I do advise you to go soon. Yea, yea...do as I say, not as I do. :eek: ....I'm going, I'm going! :cool:

4. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Hey QF, I've been around a fair amount of teams and have had many knee and ankle injuries. The last few years I've assisted my son's track coach.

Was it a direct side hit or more from the front and side combined. If the latter you probably "hyperextended" your knee it went back too far. That is more painful than damaging, the knee cap is held in place by tendons and I've never heard of anyone snapping a tendon, but dude it is oh so painful. I've both dilocated a knee cap and hyperextended a knee, different legs. The damage that time will tell is if you injured your meniscus (sp) the pad between your bones, or tore your cartilage in the same general area, but if it is your first time, I doubt you have cartilage damage. Beware some unscrupulous doctors will just assume that you have cartilage damage and suggest surgery, definitely second opinion on that. Sports medicine?

Either way, you most likely tore some side or lateral ligaments (they actually are vertical but on the side), or the ligament directly behind the knee cap tendon, forgot the name of that one; thus, you have a case of the wobblies, but if you don't feel massive tenderness, knotting and/or purple-ish areas on the side, the ligament hasn't torn completely. I've done that too on an ankle, it is pretty dang obvious when one has "snapped" a ligament. The doctor actually told me that the ligaments will grow back (never got a second on that, but I'm walking and running fine now 2 years later), the cartilage tear is the tricky stuff, it will become fragmented and cause pain like a surgeon left a screw in your joint.

The therapists I have been too over the years have had competing advice some have said ice and immobilization, some have said a combination of ice, heat and movement, same body same parts just different sides, go figure? I think the I, H and M is for people who are more physically capable and will push past the pain on their own to get back in the game. As a rugby player I think that describes you, eh? It sounds like you are quite an athlete, so I would ask to see the sports medicine folks at your doctors office.

5. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Hey OHD, just saw a poster by Kaiser today tauting developing the muscles to secure the joint, have they ever suggested that to you, not just therapy but core strength development to support the joint? I started that 10 years ago for my shoulder same symptoms like you, innocent activitiesand all, and Wow, what a difference, I can actually sleep on my shoulder through the nights now.

6. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

:eek: Well the doctor might suggest this to me if I'd tell him about it. A coworker, however, suggested this very thing to me and shared that this was all he needed to do. I must admit though, when I was more physically active (running and working out) I don't believe it happened to me. So maybe that's what I need, to get back to strength training. Not the same, but better than nothing? <shrugs>

Perhaps I'll just schedule an appointment and PRAY that all I need is a little PT!

Thanks berylb! :newpalm: I'm hopeful that my results will be similar to yours. Congrats on the shoulder!! :newpalm:

Edit: oooh, maybe I'll get a hot male therapist! :D

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

RICE.

Rest, immobilize, cool, elevate.

I messed up the right forearm tendon where it connects into my right elbow several years back (and am extremely right handed). MRI confirmed that surgery would have made scar tissue larger. Treatment is physical therapy to develop alternate muscles (weight training) and cortisone shots when the pain is bad (have only had 2, I'll do lots of Advil before shots since the experience after the shot for a day is worse than the pain).

Get medical attention, a professional opinion. I am not trained, only experienced in damaging myself.

Core body strength is very important, as is keeping extra pounds off as they do cause knee problems in later life. Believe that for each pound overweight it is 60 pounds of extra pressure on the knee. And keep wallets out of back pockets as they cause back problems, the thicker they are for you to sit on the more you're bending your spine.

8. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Mobile Deity

Dang, I was going to recommend RICE. The NZ Rugby Union has a video about it (probably on YouTube).

QF you might want to clarify that in Rugby you do NOT block. You were acting as an impediment in the training drill.

Were you holding a pad? If not and your team doesn't have pads, I'd recommend that they get some for this sort of drill.

Attached Files:

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am going to see how it feels and probably call a doctor tomorrow if it's still uncomfortable.

Inner Prop, I was holding a pad! That's the saddest part. I had the pad down, I was in a good position, but momentum and the angle worked against me, my teammate came into the pad and then her knee swung around into mine. It all happened pretty fast.

The hit was (I think) directly on the outside of my left knee. I am hoping it was just a twist/strain of the knee and it will be better in a few days.

10. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

Hi QF, sorry you are hurt. :(

You have gotten very good advice already. As a nurse whose ortho skills are kinda minimal, I would recommend RICE and a visit to the doc. Hope you feel better soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.