KitKat Android Version 4.4.4 on a Samsung Galaxy Player 5

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Player' started by Hook, Mar 21, 2015.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

He didn't increase resolution. He thought he did, but all he did was lower DPI. The affect of lowering DPI looks similar to increasing resolution, but it's not the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

True. I wasn't being technical in my use of the word screen resolution. To me, getting more screen real estate is higher resolution. :vbwink: I've never claimed (in fact have often denied) technical expertise. :vbrolleyes:

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I kind of get that; but how did that shrink the icons and such? It seems counterintuitive to me.

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. jigwashere

If the blueprint scale says 1/4" = 1' and the drawing is 5" x 5", the resulting product when built will be 20' by 20'. Put the blueprint on your copy machine and reduce it 50%. The scale still states 1/4" = 1', but unless you shrink your ruler by 50%, you'll end up with a product that's 10' x 10'.

That's what's happening with changing DPI setting. You're not changing the dots, you're shinking the inch. The screen resolution is like the ruler. You're using a standard ruler to measure a drawing that's been shrunk, and therefore, you're going to end up with a smaller object.

Changing screen resolution is like changing the scale - everybody knows what's going on; changing DPI is when the architect's assistant screwed up when reproducing the blueprint - the builder trusts the scale and his ruler, but the blueprint is a lie. :)

RickAgresta, Mi An and raspabalsa like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

jig, it's amazing how you come up with simple analogies to explain the dpi/ppi/vpi problem. This last example is the one that best works for me, as I'm used to working on blueprints and maps on my computer, and before printing I always have to adjust the scale indicator taking into consideration the size of the paper I'm going to use. When showing my boss the maps on screen he always asks me "what's the scale", and that always annoys me, because I can zoom in and out on Autocad, effectively changing the "scale"(in the sense he uses it) of the drawing. Somehow I've never been able to explain this to my boss, so usually I tell him that the scale is X, which is correct as often as not. Thank you for being so patient, jig.

RickAgresta, Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

So just to affirm: EdmundDantes is right - it is counterintuitive.

RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.